Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Question about Breastfeeding

If you have any insight into this issue...please let me know! Within the last 3-4 days, poor LJ has been drowning in milk at most of his feedings. This results in much gulping, gasping, coughing...I think it is getting in his nose and making him sound congested (his nose is clear, so this is my guess). He pulls off frequently (to breathe, I'm sure), but always comes right back. I don't think he minds too much, but it is concerning me. I figure we'll just keep at it and we will work it all out (it seems breasts and babies have some unspoken communication with which they work this whole supply and demand thing out). The only other thing I should add is...some of his diapers are greener rather than mustardy. My What to Expect Book doesn't address this, but my message board lactation consultant says (I didn't ask...I lurked around and found someone else asking this question) this could be an indicator that LJ isn't getting enough hind milk.

So, has anyone else experienced this? Heard of this? Should I be concerned about this possible lack of hind milk?

Oh, and last night he slept for 5 hours before he woke up to eat. I was worried (not until he woke up and I realized it had been so long...I was sleeping like a log) because he always wakes up in 3-4 hours. This long stretch of sleep so early in his life combined with the drowning at feedings and green diapers has me concerned something is going awry. But, if no one else thinks I should be worried I can let it go and enjoy that he went 5 hours last night! The book says that, metabolically, babies can sleep through the night at 11 pounds. I don't think LJ is 11 pounds yet, but he might be within 1/2 a pound of that. Unless he isn't getting enough hind milk...then he may be losing weight????

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Martha and Little LJ,
Unfortunately, I cannot offer any insight into your issues. I have very little experience in this area. In fact, I don't even know the vocabulary. I hadn't heard of "hind" milk previously.
I imagine that having a baby is like taking up an exotic sport like curling or fencing. There is a host of new things to consider and a new vocubulary. Those who don't participate are left behind without the lingo.
Nonetheless, it seems from my naive perspective that you are doing very well, and all reports are that little LJ is a very handsome fellow.
Despite the poor weather of late, I hope that you still manage to get out for a walk. At the end of a day, a walk can be great relief, and a real accomplishment. And, if you depart at 5:00-ish (or dusk), you can even admire the interiors of the houses. It makes for good entertainment.

Thinking about you three, and thank you for sharing your reports on life as a new mum,
Katharine Trafford.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha. OK - I had the same things happen. Re: green poos, Annie had a few. I freaked out, but at that time I was calling the pediatrician daily about other stuff and was ashamed to ask more questions, so I let the green poo ride. It went away and nothing bad happened to Annie. It lasted two days. Re: overwhelming the infant with milk, this happened to us also. My lactation nurse (our neighbor) advised nursing in a somewhat reclined position to get gravity on your side. Eventually it all worked out via supply and demand, as you astutely observe. Also, if you are using a breast pump with too much suction, that could be causing an oversupply of breastmilk.
Take care.
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

Basically I concur with what Chrissy said. Another thing you might try is pumping just a little before feeding if you are really engorged so that first big heavy flow doesn't hit him, instead you drain your breasts a little before you feed him. And sleeping 5 hours before he wakes up for a feeding is a blessing and nothing to be concerned about, babies don't read all those how-to books and they have their own rhythm so just do what seems natural.

Lena