Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Due Date #2 and Last Day of Work

Due date #2, the doctor's due date has almost expired. While I am having some contractions, they are not regular and I can still "walk and talk" through them, so I don't think (unless things really pick up) that I will have the baby on 11/9. I'm trying not to think about contractions that keep me from being able to walk and talk...that is a concept about which I am not very excited! The office betting pool concerning the delivery date, time, gender, weight (the baby's, not mine!), length, etc. is down to 5 people still in the running. No money is changing hands and there is no prize, but everyone has a prediction! Several people will be knocked out if I don't deliver tomorrow or Thursday. Remember, we are holding out until the 12th...we have tickets to the Lyle Lovett concert on Thursday! We have a buyer in case we can't use them though.

Today was my last day at work. That is very exciting and I hope to have at least part of a day at home and not in active labor. It feels so decadent! My students were really cute today...as they left class many of them said things like "good luck", "hope it all goes well", "I'll pray for you", etc. They were asking if I'd bring the baby for them to see and I said, "No way...y'all are sickly college students! My husband will bring a picture." RJ is doing most of the substituting in class...I think my students are excited to see how my husband will be as a teacher...the girls ask all kinds of questions about being married, being pregnant, etc. so they are especially interested in seeing how he is.

There is a woman at work (I'm pretty sure I've figured out who it is) who has left a baby gift (travel wipes, wash clothes, a onesie, stuff like that) on my desk each morning. So, it has been fun to come to work to see what my little elf has left for the baby. I left a note on my desk one day...asking who the elf is...and the elf left a note saying "wouldn't you like to know?" She fell for my trick because I was hoping to recognize the handwriting! She hasn't 100% admitted it, but it has been very fun and is a very thoughtful thing to do! Today being my last day...that will come to an end :-(

RJ and I went to Cheddars this evening...we figure our days of easily eating out are numbered. It was nice! I have been avoiding pizza the last few days as my brother says it is the food you eat when you are ready to go into labor...it worked for his wife with their kids. So, if we make it to our concert, maybe we'll eat pizza on Friday. Or, maybe we'll try to get one more weekend in before our lives change FOREVER!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha,

Your updates are great! Keep them coming. You make me laugh. Enjoy your decadent days off before Baby J arrives.

Katherine

Anonymous said...

Now I am getting used to reading these postings so you will have to keep them up! You know, in the labor room, the delivery room, etc. Hope you have a laptop! Good luck!!

Lena

Anonymous said...

Hope you are having fun at home! Get plenty of rest while you can and keep us posted!
My bet is for Nov. 12, 1:00am, after the concert!

:-)
Amanda

Anonymous said...

What I am waiting to see is how clever your postings will be post Baby J. My exeperience was that sleep deprivation can alter the mind significantly. I'm begining to wonder if my mind will ever get back to normal...

Guess Who????

Anonymous said...

Hi Martha. This is fun. I didn't know what blogging was before this. I am betting that Amanda is right - you will deliver right after the concert. I had like hours of moderate contractions before things got serious. Will you go to the concert even if youre having some more contractions?
Chrissy