Sunday, November 28, 2004

LJ - 1; Parents - 0

Well, we did it. It was an emotional day in our household...Friday...when we caved to the pacifier. LJ was crying up a storm and was virtually inconsolable for hours. Ok, it was probably about an hour, but you understand. I quietly got the pacifier out and set it next to the diapers. RJ saw it and didn't protest. So, I boiled the necessary water and sterilized the offending object. Then, we popped it in...and LJ settled down immediately. So, it worked. It pacified our little baby when neither of us could. RJ felt sad...like LJ doesn't need us anymore. I felt relieved and I convinced him that he still does need us...at least for food and shelter! We have used the pacifier since...about once a day (just like little Annie). Today it was one long pacifier fest because...

RJ's parents, aunt, uncle, and grandmother came to visit for the afternoon. So that they could enjoy holding a pleasant baby, we gave LJ the pacifier to calm him down. He didn't have it in his mouth ALL afternoon, but for a good while he did. He was a VERY good boy though and we all enjoyed our visit!

Each day LJ has a bit of a different schedule...he sleeps almost all day, he doesn't sleep at all during the day, he sleeps all morning, he sleeps all afternoon...and any combination of those. And, each day we fear that whatever he is doing that day...he won't sleep during the night. We have, for the most part, been wrong. We are pretty happy that he does go back to sleep fairly quickly after eating throughout the night. So, the point is...LJ is unpredictable! I started noting what time he goes back to sleep so that I can see how much sleep RJ and I are getting. We can both fall asleep instantly now. The morning following the first night I did this I told RJ that we had gotten 7 and 1/2 hours of sleep in 2-3 hour increments! He said, "So, now I'm getting the quality of sleep that someone who has sleep apnea gets." I thought that was pretty funny.

This week will be the ultimate test. Mom isn't here (I told her I'd try this out on my own this week) and RJ has a busy week at work...AND he has his graduate classes this week. So, Wednesday...he won't get home until 10:00 pm! OH MY! That is like 13 hours ON MY OWN! Actually, RJ's sister-in-law said she'd come over on Wednesday, so I won't have to do that BUT...I'm actually going to try this mother thing out all alone. We can do it...right?! I'll let you know!

Now, I'm going to do something I haven't done in over 9 months...TAKE A BATH! See, I like a pretty hot bath and that would never do when I was pregnant. So, I'm thinking this will be great. Oh, and LJ is asleep right now...and I mean dead asleep. He is hilarious as sometimes he just drops like a sack of potatoes.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just think of how LJ is going to be able to look back on this blog when he is older like a baby book or something and read about all the funny things he did!

~Neice #3 of the Josefys