Please, let this be a short-lived phase! In the past two days LJ has become VERY clingy. The first day, I thought, “he’s just tired from his weekend in a strange place.” But, the clinginess continued, with more vengeance, yesterday. I follow the same routines as normal, but LJ is not cooperating. It goes something like this:
LJ wakes up at some time with a 5 as the first number. This is too early, so RJ puts him in his bouncy seat next to our bed until sometime with a 6 as the first number. Sometimes LJ falls back to sleep; sometimes he just plays quietly. LJ nurses – and he has taken to raking my hair with his hand as nurses. It is ok, but sometimes he grabs just a few strands and that does not feel good. I finally stopped losing my hair due to hormones, now I lose it because LJ pulls it out. After nursing, LJ and I go for a walk. Yesterday, about 15 minutes into our walk, LJ arched backward and raised his arms (the signal for me to pick him up) and screamed. This is the first time LJ has not enjoyed our walk. He continued to do this for the next 30 minutes. I even tried to put the canopy up in an attempt to make him forget that I was there. Didn’t work.
When we get home, LJ usually plays nicely on the floor while I get some water and fix our breakfast. Yesterday, he screamed to be picked up. I distracted him with some toys – which seemed to work…until he saw me again. Then…Holy Crocodile Tears, Batman. LJ’s eyes welled up and he belted out a loud scream. He does this while eating, he does this while I’m holding him…sure, he calms down when I pick him up, but only for a minute or two. RJ takes him and LJ is fine…until he sees me…then again with the wailing. It got so bad yesterday…I gave him Tylenol…just in case there was pain somewhere. This did seem to work, so…teething??? The child is 8 months old and has zero teeth. RJ jokes that he’s seedless.
Oh, and his naps are back down to 45 minutes – 1 hour. And, last night was a hideous night. I’ll spare you the details, but there was little consecutive sleep. Never fear, there was no milk given, but there was little sleep. As I type this, LJ is sitting next to me – in his lady bug – giving me his angry snaps, but if I really concentrate on something…I can tune it out for a while.
Please tell me that this is just a phase…a short one. I figure it is either 1) teething or 2) separation anxiety or 3) a combination of the two. RIGHT????
Thursday, July 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Marty, I think your self-diagnosis of both items is most probably on the button. Try Orajel and sucking on those teethers or hold ice for him to suck on. And stock up on pain killers (for you) You can also check with the nurse in case she has any suggestions. KJ
Post a Comment