I'm trying to remind myself that the first week of school is always an adjustment because I have not enjoyed this week! The students have been fine - although I've had to tell each section that text messaging during class is not going to fly. HELLO? Our class has 30 people in it...the farthest anyone is from the front of the room is 5 desks...I can see you AND it is just rude. I'm thinking about a little adjustment to my behavior...when a student asks a question in class or comes up after class to ask a question, I'm just going to get out my cell phone and start texting...(all in a joking manner, of course) - perhaps then, they'll get that, while they aren't intending to be rude, it *is* rude. I was good-natured in telling them something I don't think I should need to tell them. Otherwise, they've been fine...I like some classes more than others, but they are all fine. 10 minutes between classes is a quick turn-around time. I can make it, but I don't get there early and I can't hang back after class to talk too students - they have to walk with me if they want to talk to me. When I was in college, we only had 10 minutes between classes (now, it is 20, but this summer is odd for my class) and I thought it was plenty of time...but now I have to wonder if I was late a lot?
This summer schedule has me at work during afternoon naps, so when I'm home the kids are up...always. This means I really don't have any downtime...I *need* some downtime. When am I supposed to watch the shows that I record in the middle of the night...that RJ won't want to watch and kids shouldn't watch...like Tori and Dean in Hollywood?
My groovy new laptop (Dell Latitude D830) is not cool. The keyboard isn't working right. The E, O, I, P keys are not reliable...sometimes I have to push them multiple times to get the letter to show up. Then the R sometimes shows up more than once. Very annoying. I really noticed it last night when I typed a 2 page document. So, I e-mailed the IT guy (sad because I bet the computer will have to be returned) and he said it might be a loose connection, so don't be too sad yet. I'm not getting my hopes up.
AND - I *HATE* and I mean *HATE* Office 2007. What in the world made them do this? I open a document that I need to edit with dates for this semester...I want to save and print it really quickly so I can run to class. Ok, I edit it and want to "save as..." I look up (with just "save" I'd have done CTRL S) to go to the File menu...and Um...there is no File menu. In fact, none of the drop down menus have the same name or contain the same things as Word 2003. And, the "toolbars" have all kinds of junk that I either don't know what it is or I really don't need it like I might need...oh, say..SAVE AS. So, something I could have done in 1 second took me close to a minute to find. Unacceptable. I'm going to give it a chance...see if I can get those toolbars reconfigured and perhaps find some "old school" setting that will make it all look like something I can use. If I can't - I'm getting 2003 reinstalled.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment