Friday, May 02, 2008

What I've Read About Varicella

One very big thing to consider with varicella (chicken pox) is that since the vaccine is given at such a young age, many of the kids who get the vaccine will have the vaccine "wear off" by the time they are in their late-teens/early 20s. This leaves them unprotected as adults - which is when getting chicken pox/shingles is most troublesome. Getting chicken pox as a young child isn't so bad, but getting it as an adult can be. "They" (some of the research I've read) indicate that there is an increase in adults getting chicken pox/shingles despite having had the vaccine. So, you'd have to be vigilant about getting the booster if you get the vaccine in the first place...otherwise, you are just setting yourself up to have a higher likelihood of getting the chicken pox/shingles at an older age.

Basically, having the vaccine won't prevent you from getting shingles as an adult and might actually increase the likelihood of getting full-blown chicken pox and/or shingles. Vaccines are not "forever" - you have to continue to get boosters and there is some debate as to how long vaccines last...I'm sure it isn't the same for every person, but there is a general range of 8 - 15ish years. The idea is to get your kids through their infancy and childhood with some level of protection.

Kathy's mom: I have read several sources that recommend that "older people" get a varicella vaccination/booster (it is different than the one for kids) for the exact reason you bring up...shingles isn't pleasant and is something to consider.

I enjoy the questions because they give me more to consider!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The research you are doing is really great! I am thinking now about the new vaccine for HPV that is recommended for girls, so that decision will be coming up for us soon. The more information we have, the better!

:) Lena