Today has been a bittersweet day. I admit that I am ready to be home and "get the summer started". We have "big" plans this summer...a routine for me and the kids to get into, projects to get done around the house, keeping the house neat and clean, etc. And, believe it or not, I'm looking forward to those things. Plus, since I know we are leaving, I have emotionally left this place...hey, it is what I do...it is how I cope! It probably didn't help that Ruth had a CRAZY night last night. She was wide awake from 11:30 - 2:30. Richard bore the brunt of that, but at 2:30, when I went ahead and nursed her (she's practically 9 months old, she does not need to nurse in the night (but, I don't tend to cut them off until closer to a year) AND she certainly doesn't need to do it so early in the night) she did not conk out...which I was sure she would do. She did go to sleep around 3:00 and then slept until close to 9:00. Great - except the boys get up at 7:00 and this totally throws off the napping schedule...on a day that we have a lot of "lasts" to get done. You know, "last time to go to down to the beach", "last time to swim in the pool", "last chance to go to the lighthouse"...lasts. I am ready to get home to the rocking chair...where at least if Ruth needs our help, we can give it from a comfy chair that she is accustomed to.
It also didn't help that Luke announced that he was ready to be home and that he wasn't really all that interested in going to the beach today. So, basically, we were all kind of bummed out. It also didn't help that Saturday is the day that most of these rental houses turn. Most rent from Saturday to Saturday. We needed Sunday to Sunday this year, so we're glad this house would allow that, but we watched people pack up (which we know we have that chore ahead of us) and new people arrive...all excited that they are just starting their beach vacation!
The boys did make it down to the beach around noon. They met up with their Tennessee friends and ended up having a good time after-all. The Tennessee friends gave them 9 sand dollars and lots of snacks. Ruth took a nap from about noon to 1:30, so she woke up about the time the boys came home for lunch. The boys were napping by 2:00 and Richard and I piddled around on the computers while Ruth played.
At 3:30, we woke the boys up so we could go to the lighthouse and then get ice cream from Scallop Cove. The lighthouse was closed by the time we got there, but we didn't plan to go up in it anyway. Instead, we put Ruth in the backpack carrier on Richard's back and we walked on the desolate lighthouse beach and collected some great shells. The boys were pills. They were tired and really only wanted the ice cream. Plus, per usual, Richard was taking lots of pictures and they had grown tired of it. Finally, we finished our walk and headed to get our ice cream. Ruth fell asleep on the way.
After ice cream, we came back to the house to clean up a bit before we walked over to Mass at the place where they have Catholic Mass on Saturdays at 6:00. There were 17 of us and the AC wasn't working. With no singing and no AC, Mass lasted 30 minutes. Luke thought this was the best church he's ever been to...he even told this to the Priest as we were leaving. Then, we headed to the beach to pick up our stuff. It had become out habit to take stuff in the morning and then retrieve it in the evening instead of lugging it back and forth more than once a day. Around 7:00 we warmed up all the leftovers knowing that we would never be able to eat them all, but wanting to give it a try so as not to have to throw away food. After dinner, I put Ruth to bed and started the laundry and the packing while Richard took the boys for one last swim in the pool. Once the boys were ready for bed, I read a chapter of Ramona the Brave to them and then sent them to Richard who tucked them in. Here I sit, waiting for the first load to be dry so I can pack those clothes and put the second load in the dryer before heading to bed. We are praying for a good night's sleep tonight.
Saturday, June 04, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment