Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flag Day

Today started off like any other day here - the boys are up and ready to get going by 7:00 while Richard and I try to steal a few more minutes of sleep.  Eventually, everyone is up and getting ready for the day...I'm making breakfast and coffee and Richard is getting ready for work and dressing Ruth.  We were ready for Summer Home School by 8:30.


Once again, we started the day with our morning meeting.  The headlines revealed baseball victory and a high of 100 degrees.  Our teaching lesson was over the US Flag.  Luke really knew all the answers - how many stars and why, how many stripes and why - and they both kept singing parts of The National Anthem.  They repeated the Pledge of Allegiance after me and we put the flag up.  The schedule was a bit different today as I needed to nurse Ruth before our "field trip" to the grocery store, so the boys had free play while I did that.  Paul was rather disappointed to learn that our field trip was to the grocery store, but I told him I had some things in mind to make it interesting...


...And, I did try to be educational and interesting.  On the way, we reviewed manners and talked about the manners-situations the store might provide.  Things went well for about 10 minutes and then I just had to get the shopping done so that we could get home and get Ruth a nap before everything went to haywire.


We got home, unloaded the groceries, put the cold things away, got the boys started on their computer time and then I put Ruth down for a nap...about an hour later than normal.  Then we worked on writing - today was months of the year - followed by coloring a US Flag (and a Texas flag!).  Ruth was still sleeping, so I watched the boys swim out the kitchen window while I unloaded the dishwasher and got lunch ready.


Since Ruth got a late nap, she didn't nap at the same time as the boys this afternoon - so this has been a long day...and it wasn't the best of Summer Home School days.  But, tomorrow should be normal - no "field trips"!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

today I am joining you in the summer home school mission - Hour 1 of Drivers Ed for Rachel and a friend. I set the time for 10:30 just so they would get out of bed :). I am going to be teaching right of way and am going to use matchbox cars and our "road" quilt to give different scenarios. We'll see how long the excitement lasts on mine and their parts.