PJ is in the Beginner's Program 2 morning a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). He seems a bit more reserved and observational in his classroom than he does at home...it is interesting to see. He seemed to have a good day - it was abbreviated...only 1 hour instead of 3. The first day, the teacher has 1/2 the kids come for 1 hour and the other 1/2 for 1 hour...that way, the kids can get used to the classroom, etc. without so many of kids around. There are some structured activities and some unstructured activities. For example, the have "circle time" first thing - where they talk and share with one another...the teacher reads a book, etc. Then, they either have chapel or music (depends on the day), then outside play time, then snack, then center-time, then clean-up, then circle time again and then home...so, while I think there are themes throughout the year, I don't get the impression "formal learning" is an emphasis...thus the quotes around "pre-school". Thursday is his first full-morning.
LJ hit the ground running yesterday. He got himself and PJ dressed before they even came out of their room in the morning. He told me what he'd eat for breakfast and then, after breakfast, brushed his teeth, combed his hair, got his backpack and put on his shoes - ready to go. We took pictures at home and at school, but we haven't downloaded them yet. His class starts promptly at 8:30, so we went to his classroom first - hugged good-bye and he was off. When we came to pick him up, his class was playing outside and LJ was speeding around on a tricycle (these trikes, which RJ maintains - and they need A LOT of maintenance) are the hit of "outside time". It was H.O.T. and humid yesterday, so these kids were soaked and red-faced on the play ground. The kids went inside for their backpacks and then the teachers brought them out to sit on the benches for pick up. Of course, most of us parents were hanging out on some benches not too far away - waiting to see how the first day went. LJ's teacher brought LJ over right away - I think when you are as pregnant as I am, people tend to want you to get out of the heat! When we asked LJ about his day, he said he wasn't ready for Kindergarten...we asked why and he said, "I'm hot and I'm tired" - after some more talking - we think he was just cranky because he was "hot and tired"! His analysis of the day - he did some stuff he wanted to do and his teacher told them a bunch of things. Today, he is going to check a book out of the classroom library. I figure if he's making plans that's a good thing. We'll see what he says about today!
Tonight, LJ has religious education class from 6-7, so it'll be a busy late afternoon/evening to get dinner eaten and in bed by 8:00!
So far as #3 goes - it is just a waiting game. The only thing I really want to get accomplished before giving birth is to get to my hair appointment - which is at noon today. I have every indication that this will NOT be a problem!
No comments:
Post a Comment