Wednesday, March 02, 2005

2-Day Delay

I've decided that babies (LJ anyway) have a 2-day delay in "reacting" to things that I would think would really get them out-of-kilter. We had a great weekend with my brother's family. Great = visiting, hanging out, laughing, and eating. Maw Maw arrived on Sunday and took us all out to lunch...yum! All of LJ's cousins wanted to hold him and play with him and LJ didn't really get fussy at all...even though he missed most of his naps in the process. Each night, I'd go to bed and think, "well, he didn't really nap today...what's going to happen tonight...is he 'overtired'?" And, he would sleep until his normal time, wake to eat, and then go back to sleep...until 9:30 or 10:00 (this is amazing too). So, on Sunday I decided...no big deal...LJ reacted fine...and then there was last night (and thus the 2-day delay theory). We made great strides to have LJ ready for his last nursing session before bed by 8:00 - to coincide with The Amazing Race. That went well and LJ was off to sleep by 8:30. He woke at 11:30...RJ got him back to sleep. He woke at 12:30...RJ tried, but decided LJ was hungry. He nursed...went back to sleep. He woke up at 3:30...at which point we put him in bed with us. He slept "all right" until 6:30...RJ fed him a bottle as I was getting ready for work. As I left, RJ was trying to get LJ to go back to sleep. So, I'm thinking it is a 2-day delayed reaction to his eventful weekend. I have to come up with an alternative to the growth spurt theory!

SJ has offered to have some cousin time with LJ this week, so we are taking her up on her offer. She suggested we see "Hitch" and we have heard that it is really funny...so that is what we are doing this afternoon. RJ is going to take off early today and we are going to a movie. How decadent! I hope I'm rested enough not to fall asleep during this one. If you recall, I fell asleep during "Ocean's 12", but if you've seen it, that may make sense to you.

So far as I'm concerned...things are going well. I've managed to lose enough weight to fit into jeans a size smaller. Just one more size to go. This is nice, but causes a problem as I only have 1 pair of pants (jeans) this size...I had 2 of the larger size *sigh*. But, what can you do? I had to take some measures to lose weight...breastfeeding has not "melted away the pounds" as it apparently does for so many. I didn't really expect it to...my metabolism has never been like that. The only thing I've really done is to stop eating with reckless abandon every day of the week. I haven't been exercising or greatly limiting my calories. Every breastfeeding mom will likely tell you that one of their fears is that their milk supply will decrease, that this will be unknown to them, that the baby will secretly be starving, and that once they realize their supply is low...it will be too late to do anything about it. This is why the weight loss is such a tricky issue. Or, maybe this is a rationalization on my part?

RJ is doing well...he longs for the day when he can get some work done around the house. By this I mean...in the garage and outside. It has rained here every 2-3 days for about 6 months...so the grass is growing (and the weeds too), but it is always too wet to mow. Our yard looks like a jungle. I told him that one day...LJ will take longer naps a couple of times a day and we'll both be able to get more done. I'm not sure he believes me, but he is ever hopeful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "two day delay" sound pretty typical to me. Give thanks for the good weekend!!! I had fun too. Really goofed and got home with RJ's eggplant, but it's gone now. Sorry R.J.!! I guess it's rainy all over. We had two nice sunny days, but today is back to the winter normal. My backyard is a mess from skidding dog feet. Love to all, Maw Maw

Anonymous said...

Or maybe Luke is "teething". That seems to be the other catch-all excuse. Annie has been "teething" since she was 2 months old, along with 67 "growth spurts". I am trying not to ask "why" anymore. Things are what they are.