RJ and LJ are still sleeping (at 8:45 am), so I have a few minutes (or maybe many minutes...who knows?) to ask you something that RJ and I have been wondering...
How can we make sure that LJ is a kind little boy (and grown up)? He is very cute, but this may come and go. He has a pretty nice temperament right now. It'll break my heart if he is a little meany. So, is there something we should be watching for? Some moment we need to seize? Some infant behavior we need to recognize as the precursors to meany-ness? I know it is too early for this now, but we really want him to be a nice person.
Any thoughts?
And it is now 8:50 and I hear RJ and LJ, so I did have only a few minutes.
Saturday, March 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Just teach him to be nice, and don't tolerate meanness.
An example from a Christian family I know:
The oldest brother (9 yrs old) was excited about going to a football game that afternoon with his father. The younger brother (7 yrs old) was sick, and therefore unable to go to the game. The older brother taunted the younger brother about it and made him cry. The father found out, and told the older brother he was no longer going to the football game, because of the mean way he had treated his younger brother. The father explained to the older brother than all things belong to God, and it was wrong to brag about something you had that someone else didn't have and make the other person feel bad. I thought that was a pretty harsh punishment for some pretty ordinary behavoir between siblings, but the father took it very seriously and wasn't going to tolerate any meanness.
KK
He will learn kindness and compassion from how he is treated and how he sees you treat others around him. Show him that every action has a consequence and always be free with the expression of your emotions. If you are sad, let him see you cry and if you are happy let him see that as well. This is something we work on every day with the girls and so far so good. They will have their moments when they slip up, but overall I think they are very kind and loving girls who think of others.
Lena
Obviously I am not speaking from experience, but we have been talking about the same thing. A Mom I know was mortified when her nephew said this to an overweight woman "Boy I bet your Mom is proud of you," very sarcastically. She asked him what he meant and he didn't know, he just heard someone else say it. So, little ones learn by example. Also, people say things out of fear of things that are different (people in wheelchairs, overweight people). So if you can get over your insecurities, that will help your kid be more compassionate.
oops. I always forget to leave my name. I wrote the above comment.
Chrissy
Just be sure that he gets to hang out with his Aunt KJ and his cousins. If that doesn't work then hanging out with his Uncle RJ is the trick. We are after all really nice people and have never been "meanies". If the cousins have been then I have not heard about it or else I would fix it with one of my many parental skills.
Big Bro
I'm a little late with my comment due to the fact that I was away from my computer all last week, BUT, I believe it is in the book of Proverbs that it is said, "Train a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it." Since that must be more that wishful thinking, I would suggest that parental example is the way to do this. You can talk a proverbial "blue streak" but it the actions belie the words, the words don't do much good. Also, you might read the book that I think I sent you (if not I will) by Dr. Ray Garundi (sp?) Maw Maw
Post a Comment