Monday, December 13, 2004

Such a Good Boy

Little LJ was such a pleasant boy this weekend that we managed to get all the Christmas decorations up...including lights outside. AND...all the empty boxes are back up in the attic until it is time to take the decorations down. RJ and I also watched a DVD...the whole thing in one sitting...on Saturday night. It was "Timeline". I enjoyed the book (Michael Crichton...sp?), but the movie was kind of a let down. There was next-to-no character development...which was a problem. See, if you don't really know the characters, you can't really care about them...even if you are a new mother with hormones that make you care about everyone and everything. Plus, I had read the book and you know how that goes. RJ had not read the book, but he thought the movie could have been much better as well. One interesting thing that I learned from the movie...Trebuchet (the font that I use to type this blog) is a French catapult. Who knew? Not I!

I digress (which many of you may like...I mean seriously, how much can you really want to hear about the daily happenings of a 4 week old and his crazy parents?!). LJ really only seems to cry when he is a) hungry, b) hurting in some way (usually needs to pass gas, but yesterday he scratched his face with his fingernail and wailed pretty heartily), or c) is tired and can't just close his little eyes and sleep. Other than that, he just sits and looks around. He likes light a lot...so, he looks out the window or at lamps a lot of the time. He seems to be smiling these days. I think it is different from the "I'm feeling gas bubbles" grin as he uses his entire face. It is usually in the morning, right after eating, when I hold him to my face and talk to him about what we are going to do that day. It is VERY cute and confirms (in my mind) that he is the sweetest baby known to man. Of course, no one who visits with a group of people will not concur. He seems to get over stimulated by groups of people. This causes him to be fussy. This should make this weekend interesting. My brother and his family are coming to stay with us...my nephew and his fiancé are graduating from college, so LJ will get to meet his aunt and uncle and other cousins. That will be several people and hence, the over stimulation potential. But, we'll try something new. Since they will be here for a while, we can have people hold him with a delay in between...maybe then it won't seem like he is being passed around in rapid succession? This is all trial and error you know! I cannot guarantee that he will sleep through the night this weekend...he hasn't gone more than 4 hours in the last several days!

Other than the above, we are working on a Christmas card/birth announcement and I have started pumping (milk, not iron). I figure pumping is our ticket to being able to go to a movie or out to dinner alone one day in the near future. I know...this weekend! There will plenty of capable adults around to baby sit! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey J's

Anonymous said...

hey sorry about that short random comment before but I accidentally hit enter and it somehow posted only that much. BUT I just wanted to let you know that I knew that a trebuchet was a catapult- at MHS the physics classes built them before homecoming and chunked pumpkins at the other team's mascot. It was pretty cool. Can't wait to see baby J!!!

jJo