Monday, January 24, 2005

It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times...

Let's see...where to begin? I am at work right now, so I am writing this without having to bounce LJ in the bouncy seat. This change is hindering my ability to think!

The first week back at work went very well. It is a new routine to get used to, but I think it'll be ok. I'm only away from home for 4 - 5 hours at a time...and these hours pass very quickly. Heck, it is only 2 pumping sessions! It is funny...when I was planning this schedule and trying to figure out when I'd have time to pump milk...I thought this was all so precise. If LJ would eat at 8:30, I MUST pump at 8:30 or the whole thing would be off. HA! HA! HA! HA! Now, I realize that NOTHING about a baby has to be THAT precise and it NEVER will be that precise. I pump when I get around to it...within reason. Ok, back to last week. LJ was such a good boy last week...he slept straight through to 6:00 am and 7:00 am every night. This was great for us and we got really used to it. One day last week, I swaddled him up and we BOTH took an hour-long nap on the bed in our room. That was really great. RJ works until 8:00 pm and that is NO FUN. I've decided that we don't really like that. He checks and responds to e-mails in the morning while home with LJ and he is thinking about asking our boss if he can count that time and come home at 7:00 pm. I'm sure she'll be fine with it.

The first Friday went well too. SJ came over and stayed with LJ and I think they had a nice time. I know that she took him for a nice long walk and he fell asleep. Other than that, neither one of them was crying when I got home, so I think that must mean it was a success. The major bummer of this first week back to work is that RJ and I had to work all day Saturday. We had to train the leaders of the program that RJ runs. We (meaning several of us in the office) usually do this the Friday before school starts, but we were at MJ and B(S)J's wedding, so we rearranged this. MJ and B(S)J should feel powerful...their wedding rearranged the schedule of almost 100 people! Anyway, we had to be up at work almost all day. So, SJ came over and stayed with LJ Saturday too. Once again, neither was crying when I got home, so it must have gone well. I joke, but there were times when RJ came home and LJ and I were both crying!

So, Sunday was the only day of the week that we could sleep as long as LJ slept...and he woke up at 4:00 am. WHAT?????? That was crazy. I fed him, RJ put him back down...and he was a little difficult to get back down. Then he woke up again at 7:45...ARGH! Another weird thing...he fell asleep while nursing Sunday afternoon. This hasn't happened for 8 weeks! And, he slept for an hour on my lap. WHAT????? Then, he woke up at 4:00 am this morning as well...and was VERY difficult to get back down. ARGH!!!!!! So, I don't know the reason for the regression, but I can only assume it is a growth spurt! HA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, that darned growth spurt. That is the explanation for all unexpected happenings. Just when you think you've got a system down..... Oh, well. I know how it goes. Sorry he's been getting up so early. It will change again.

Chrissy