Wednesday, May 19, 2010
Thanks LJ’s Daddy, you’re the best!
Well, it is me, RJ, writing today. I felt I must share my wonderful morning of an all-day visit to LJ’s school on his second to the last day of his pre-school year. I was having regret for not knowing more about how LJ spent his Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings for the last year, so MJ suggested I visit and observe him in his element, and I am very glad I did. I know now why LJ never has too much to say about what he did, because he apparently usually does quite a bit at a very fast pace and it all seems to blur together. At least it did for me! I described it to MJ as being very organized at the macro level, yet, very disorganized at the micro level. The quote that is the title to this post came from one of LJ’s classmates after his teacher, Mrs. S, told the students during “circle story time” that I, LJ’s Daddy, was the one who fixed the tricycles for them all to ride. I was all smiles at the enthusiastic “thank you’s” and LJ seemed very proud. (LJ has had no hesitation telling everyone at his school of late that I am a repair man.) This was after they randomly shared what it was that they would miss the most about pre-school. Tricycles and bicycles had the most votes with friends, home center, and other things close behind. I later remarked to the teacher that I can really see how much she must love her job, because it was very special to see how excited the children were about almost everything.
I don’t think I have been called LJ’s Daddy more in my life. I really liked the question, “LJ’s Daddy, what is your name?” To which I replied, “R, but you can just call me LJ’s Daddy.” LJ was very cute when he made sure that his classmates knew to include me whenever they passed around the items they were sharing during “talking sharing.” LJ brought one of the Lantanas that we were going to plant in MJ’s front flower bed for Mother’s Day. LJ told them how we ran out of room so we were going to plant it on the roof of our house instead! (We had told him how we were going to make it into a hanging plant.)
LJ took my presence to mean I was his own special enforcer of pretty much anything he wanted for the morning. From digging up the potatoes that they had planted (LJ instructed me to point the ones I uncovered out only to him,) to getting me to tell others to get off of “his blue tricycle.” After losing LJ about three times out on the playground, I commented to one of the teachers about how hard their job must be, but they assured me that it was easier than it looked as most of the children hung out with the same classmates and in the same areas. They said only a few were bold enough that they might open the playground gate to get out. I wondered to myself if LJ might be one of those few just as Mrs. B introduced me as… LJ’s Daddy, the one who fixes the tricycles!
I don’t know if it was just that I was focused on him, but I have to say that he seemed like he had quite a following among his peers. I think LJ would get the nod for most-likable among his peers, but I am probably biased! Not to say that he was an angel. After informing me in his classmate’s presence, “See Daddy, I told you he was naughty” LJ would go on with the roughhousing of his peers.
We had a blast though. The first thing they do when they get to school is draw in their journals. LJ got out his crayons and quickly scribbled an eight and was done with that chore, and off to play! We then played cars (trucks) and small blocks before circle story time. Mrs. S sat him down alone and asked him to write his name, which he did well, and then draw a person. After having the whole person done, minus the head, Mrs. S asked LJ if there was anything else he would like to add, to which he replied, “No,” and then was off with me to play again. In the middle of that project, one of his classmates came over to inform LJ that the paper roll that we brought that morning to build a jet with was being played with by other children. Mary Grace was letting LJ know that Mrs. B thought it was not LJ’s but community property instead, so LJ informed Mary Grace to go tell Mrs. B that it was indeed his. LJ seemed not to bat an eye at correcting anyone’s misconceptions, even Mrs. B’s!
The rest of the day was filled with playing big blocks with Peyton and Joshua and Abigail, and floor puzzles with Peyton and Joshua, and tricycles, (of course) and digging up potatoes and having them and milk for a snack (after Mrs. S cooked them of course – they were very good with the butter!) Mrs. S finally remembered my name, I think, as I went from LJ’s Daddy to Mr. J to R, throughout the morning, and I was very excited when she suggested that I read the final story for the morning to the children and that LJ could pick it out. LJ picked “How Much is a Million?” and I had a very good time reading it. The children were very attentive and I really enjoyed it. If you have never read a book to sixteen four and five year-olds (and one six year-old as I was reminded!) you should really do it; it is a blast! Luke came up and sat on my lap at the end as if he was proud I was there. He was a very nice boy! As I suggested MJ was waiting with PJ as we walked out and sat down to wait for Mrs. S to release us to “our parents,” and took a picture of me and LJ. It was a very fun day and really helped with my bittersweet emotions. LJ is a very good boy. – LJ’s Daddy
4 comments:
That was all very interesting. It's nice to have two identities - especially if one is "LJs dad" and the other is "the fix-it man." Your fav m-i-l
What a delightful post from LJ's proud and loving Daddy.
KK
Love it! I wish that all parents loved their children enough to be involved in their schooling. The J's are a lucky bunch :) jfer
I agree totally about how rewarding it is to read a book to kids that age. I like to read Pancake Pancake to them in their pajamas and then make them pancakes (which I have gotten to do on two occasions). I'm sure you made quite the impression on them, as they usually have to hear a female reading them their book. Thanks for recounting your day. You and LJ will have much fun looking back at this story when he is older.
Post a Comment