Well, here it is Super Bowl Sunday and I have to go to the grocery store. I'm debating if it will be less crazy earlier in the afternoon or later in the afternoon. This is what I've been reduced to - having to go to the grocery store on the weekend. I detest having to go to the grocery store on the weekend. This is when the rest of the world shops and I like to avoid other people as much as possible. The only, and I mean ONLY, perk is that I can manage to go sans children...but that is little consolation.
I'm back at work - for real...
If memory serves me correctly, I am about to start Week 4 of the spring semester...which means there are 11 to go after this one is over. Yes, I am counting down. But, that makes me sad because I know that the end of this semester means the end of Luke's Kindergarten year. (I'm dispensing with the initials - I'm just too tired to be concerned about someone reading this rather-well-hidden-blog and coming to lure away our children by calling out their names...or whatever I used to be worried about over 6 years ago when I started this thing). 11 weeks from now, Paul will be 4 and Ruth will be 33 weeks old and eating solid food. When I think about all of this I just want to cry. Why is time moving so quickly all of the sudden?????
This semester, I've learned that 3 kids (2 of whom are in school of some sort) seem to multiply the "to do" list by more than just a simple factor of 3. There is some sort of unknown (x if you will) multiplier and what is does is make me feel as though I'm always on the verge of forgetting something super-important. I also feel as though I have to plow through my "to do" list regardless of how exhausted I might be. If I don't stick to the routine there will be consequences like MOUNTAINS of laundry to do on Sunday if I don't also do loads on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If I don't go get ready for class on Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be winging it on Mondays and Wednesday and, wouldn't you know it, I'm teaching 2 new preps (as they call it in the teaching world) this semester, so winging it is not going to cut it.
The beginning of the semester was a bit rocky for me. We were lucky enough to find two amazingly competent babysitters (thanks to my nephew MJ - they were students of his), but there is always the time it takes to get up a new sitter up to speed on the routines...and we do have infant Ruth. Ruth was a bit of a pill the first 2 weeks. She wouldn't take a bottle well and she just didn't care for not having Momma around. I came home to teary eyes and only a 1/2 ounce gone from the bottle for several days. I tried really hard not to stress about it, but I came to work in tears on more than one occasion that first week. Now, Ruth sucks down 3-4 ounces without a problem and smiles and squeals when she sees her sitters, so that stress is in the past. I admit that I took some joy out of the fact that Ruth would stop crying when she saw me come in the door those first few days. In developmental news, Ruth rolls over - both ways - and has for about 4 weeks now.
Luke and Paul seem to be adjusting fine, but Paul cries about EVERY.THING. This is his reaction to anything that isn't perfect in his world. There are times that I ask him what he's crying about and his reply, through tears is, "I DON'T KNOW". Once he even asked me, while crying, "WHEN AM I GOING TO STOP CRYING???" - so, there you have it. I keep hoping he will grow out of this. Luke has been going through an "I Rule The World Phase" - so we've been having to be diligent in our reminders that, so far as he's concerned, we rule his world. It isn't like he doesn't have plenty of choices that he can make...he just can't make them all and for everyone. We are going to discuss their new "Responsibilities Chart" during dinner tonight.
Richard and I have both been spending time at the boys' school. Richard has been making the case to keep the 1st grade (which the school board decided to discontinue starting this coming school year) and we both helped with the bird museum in Luke's classroom. There were 27 specimen birds on a table and we helped walk each child around the table to keep count of how many they could name. By the last day of the bird unit, Luke could name all 27! Richard has quizzed him at the dinner table a few times since then...to keep his recall active. We also both accompanied the class to a nearby park so the children could watch for birds. I think we saw 7 that we knew from the bird museum. Luke's class is now in the middle of a unit on the post office and Richard has refrained from telling Luke about the post office's near monopoly on our mail service. There are 4 jobs in the classroom post office: writer, stamp seller, sorter, and deliverer. Luke is to bring 3-4 Valentine's each day between now and Valentine's Day and these are being delivered to the appropriate boxes.
Paul's class does not ask for volunteers except for parties, so we don't spend much time in his room. I am slated to hostess his Easter party, so I'll have more to record after that adventure!
We had a snow day this past Friday. Luke is already talking about "next year when it snows" - he thinks it snows here every year...because so far in his life time, it has. Here is Pirate Richard:
Sunday, February 06, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Pat says, "Just make sure you don't forget to pick up one of the kids. When Jess was a baby, I left him in town (thankfully at his grandparent') after a meeting at church. And thankfully the parents of the girl I was tutoring, after the meeting, drove back into town to pick him up. I don't think I told Val about it until weeks later." It's a wonder that most children ever survive their parents' mistakes.
The third child is when you go to being what's considered a "large family." The reason you always feel like you're forgetting something is, as in Pat's case (and mine) you really might be forgetting one of your children. Big family dynamics are totally different. You also now have to deal with middle child syndrome. But then on some super days, (such as Ruth's baptism), seeing your "big family" altogether and none of them crying :) it makes it all worth it!!! And if having different colored hair each week helps you maintain your sanity, do whatever it takes!!! Hahaha. I'm still getting a kick from that. Have the boys done a reenactment from that Sunday's "sermon" yet??
Post a Comment