Monday, July 21, 2008

This Cast Looks Crazy

Met with the orthopedist today. It took 3 hours. I gad to send someone (DH) to cancel my classes. I think the dr. was very thorough, so that is good. He was concerned that, while the 2 bone pieces are aligned fine, they seem compressed. He ordered an x-ray of my right arm to compare and then was satisfied that surgery could likely be avoided. He shot my wrist up with local anesthetic and put me in traction for about 30 minutes - to pull apart the break. Then, as he was putting on the cast, he manipulated the bone to be properly aligned and molded the cast in that position. It was uncomfortable and my cast is rather misshapen. Finally, he ordered an x-ray to determine if he was successful - and he was. I left with a new Vicodin prescription and an appointment for Aug. 8th - more x-rays to make sure it is healing correctly and is still aligned...so surgery is still possible. The local wore off and it is much more painful after all that manipulation than it was after I broke it. I've had to take 2 Vicodin every 4 hours to maintain comfort...I'm tired and a bit loopy. I'm so happy to be in the cast instead of the splint. I have a Gore-tex liner, so it can get wet - not soaking, but wet is ok...so I will swim once I'm not loopy.

3 comments:

thesharester said...

hmm. sounds like you need your Blizzard of the Month to take some of the pain off.

Jennifer Josefy said...

martha, i'm feeling miserable for you. vicodin isn't as glamorous as they make it out to be. but if you need extra doses I think my dad is hoarding some ; ) ...

Unknown said...

do we get a pic of the cast??