Friday, April 27, 2007

The Story of PJ's Birth

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - Happy Birthday PRJ!

I woke up around 7:00 am and got LJ out of bed and watching Curious George on tv. I wasn't feeling well - I'd had a sinus headache for the past 2 days and it was starting to get old. I was also having some contractions, but I'd been having them for an hour or two here and there the past couple of days. I just didn't feel good and I started to cry (this happens when I get sinus headaches - it is actually good because it gets the pressure out of my sinuses) - RJ suggested I stay home from work, but I thought I'd rather go and have the distraction. But, I piddled around waiting for the contractions to ease up and they never did. We timed them and they were 7-12 minutes apart, but they did not ease up (in fact, they got worse) with walking. Around 8:30, I called the Dr. to see if I could reschedule my 2:00 appointment that day for earlier. I got in at 9:00. So, we put the hospital bag in the car (just in case) and took LJ to the neighbor's house.

Dr. examined me - said I was 4 cm, but the head was right there, so she'd call the hospital - go there. I got checked in - had the best nurse EVER. The dr. said she'd come break my water at lunch time, if it hadn't broken on its own. I decided that I'd wait for the epidural until then, but instructed the nurse that, when she saw the dr. with the hook in her hand, the anesthesiologist better be on his way! At lunch time, I was at 5cm - dr. broke my water and I got my epidural after suffering through only 3 contractions after my water broke. 2 hours later, the dr. called and told the nurse to check me and hook up the Pitocin. The nurse checked me - I was fully dilated and ready to push. So - NO PITOCIN - YES!!!!! The nurse had me push once and then said - to stop, the dr. needed to be told to come now - I was 2 -3 pushes away. The dr. took 25 minutes to get there, so I just laid there ready to have this baby, but waiting for the dr. We were talking, and every time I'd laugh, the nurse would say - "don't laugh - it is making the head come out more" - she, of course, loved that I had such a good attitude throughout the delivery. ;-) The Dr. arrived; I pushed 2x and out came PJ. The 2nd push, the dr. told me to stop as the shoulder was coming out really quickly, but I tore anyway - you were expecting this with a 10lb baby, right?! The tear isn't too bad though. The dr. and nurse both said that PJ was a BIG baby, but - I guess we're so used to seeing LJ that an infant looks small to us. They were right - 10 lbs even. 21 1/4 inches. Brown hair - lots, but not as much as LJ had.

I think the delivery went as perfect as it could have for me...I went into labor on my own, I had no Pitocin, I got an epidural for what I think would have been the pain I have no interest in experiencing, it went rather quickly, and PJ is a healthy baby BOY (which I secretly wanted - now that LJ has a brother, I can be happy with a girl or boy next). I'm feeling fine - sore and tender, but fine.

We'll send a picture soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for healthy boy and mom!! We're so happy for you. Love, Auntie K

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you all!!

:) Lena