Tuesday, May 01, 2007

1 Week

Tomorrow will mark 1 week since PJ joined our family - for the most part it has been pretty darn good! He is a fairly easy baby so far - he nurses well (although he and I are working diligently on his latch...he doesn't want to open his mouth very wide and this is causing some problems), he isn't too fussy (except late in the afternoon, as was LJ at this age), after the second night home from the hospital, he started going back to sleep easily after nursing at night (knocking on wood). All-in-all, we're managing fine. RJ and I are on rotation at night. He is up with PJ, if he's fussy, until 3:00 am (I still have to get up to feed him though - but RJ sits with me and we hang out and watch TV) - and then I'm on duty if PJ is fussy from then on. This has worked well so far. We've all gotten out of the house a few times and it hasn't been overwhelming - I haven't tried it by myself yet. I have to say, if I had known then what I know now - having just LJ to take care of when he was an infant wouldn't have caused me so much anxiety!

LJ seems to like PJ quite a bit. When PJ cries, LJ says, "its ok, its ok" and he tries to share his toys with PJ. Sometimes, he'll lay a book on PJ's lap so that he can look at it. I think they'll enjoy playing together...one day! LJ likes to have PJ hold his hand and so far there haven't been any malicious actions toward the new addition. LJ's behavior - well...he's been in "boot camp" the last two days. He has to "mind mommy and daddy" or he goes to the naughty chair - on the first offense. He was going crazy - I'm sure PJ is an adjustment for him, but everyone who has come to visit has giving LJ a gift - and this has gone to his head! One day of boot camp made a noticeable difference, so we're hoping this is short-lived.

I'm doing well - as well as can be expected for someone who had a 10 pound baby! This time around, I'm not experiencing the 'baby blues' so much - I get emotional about 1x a day and it is usually when I'm having to put LJ in the naughty chair. I know he is likely misbehaving to get attention and that makes me feel badly for him, but I also know that, in the long run, he'll enjoy having a brother. I've been very happy that RJ has been home from work all week - he's been working from home a bit and he'll be going in for a couple of hours a day starting Thursday...but, I've really enjoyed having him home.

We are grateful to have such great family and friends...people have been so kind to wish us congratulations and tell us how adorable PJ is ;-) It was so nice that my nieces SJ and JJ came to stay with LJ while we were in the hospital - it is hard to imagine that they are so grown-up as to come to my aid when needed! SJ - LJ has loved his chocolate cake - you did a great job with it!

1 comment:

thesharester said...

:). i cant wait to come back for another visit!