Tuesday, August 30, 2005

LJ's First Word

Yesterday was a very exciting day for the J family...we're pretty certain that LJ said his first word. His first word with meaning anyway. OK, his first word that 1) seemed purposeful and 2) we knew what he was saying. See, he's been saying dadadada for a while, but not really in reference to RJ. He also makes some sounds repeatedly...and at the same times, but we can't really figure out what he's saying or to what he is referring.

But...yesterday was different.

I was talking to LJ's Aunt M (RJ's brother's wife) and at the end of the conversation I put the phone to LJ's ear and said, "Say hi to Aunt M" (RJ and I do this whenever we are on the phone with one another) and LJ smiled and spoke a breathy "hhhi". He put the “i" sound and the end and everything. So, I said, "Oh my...do it again" and put the phone to his ear and he said it again. I got off the phone, called RJ and told him that LJ wanted to talk to him. I put the phone to LJ's ear and said, "Say hi to daddy" and he said "hi" again.

So, it is official...LJ's first word is "Hi". He only says it into the phone, but that is association for you. What a sweet boy...his first word is a greeting. I wonder if he'll be an extravert?!

What were your children's first word(s)?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma's first word was.....'NO!'. Imagine that! And sadly, I don't remember what Hanna's was, see, she was the second baby and those details get lost.

Lena

Anonymous said...

Well, Annie's first word was really "mama", but other than "mama" it was "done". When she is finished eating she emphatically yells "done" and swings her arms for emphasis.
Chrissy

Anonymous said...

aww! that probably means he will be a people person...very outgoing. i want to hear my baby cousin talk! give us a ring sometime...

M&B said...

We tried to call and hear LJ's first word, but the connection wasn't very good. Sorry!

Hope you have a great Labor Day

Martha said...

M&B...it is too bad that your side of it wasn't so good...RJ says it was his best and most clear "Hi!" yet.

Anonymous said...

My first word was "Duck." go figure.