Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween Recap

Wednesday night, there was a Halloween party on campus, so we dressed the kids in their costumes. LJ was a cowboy and PJ was a train engineer. They were so cute and so excited about the party. Of course, parking was a bear, but we found a spot and saw tons of kids in costumes on our way to the building. LJ demanded to be held because there was a skeleton costume that scared him.

He is just like his mother - I can remember screaming and screaming and crying because of this one kid in a scary mask who was trick-or-treating on our block...I was probably about 4. The thing I did not realize is that *I* was wearing that same mask! One of my sisters took great joy in torturing me by placing that mask around the house for weeks after Halloween. I'd innocently walk into the living room and look up to see the mask sitting on top of the lamp - and scream my head off. I still do not like scary movies or costumes. Who knew it was genetic?

We were at the party for about 10 minutes when the fire alarm went off and we had to leave the building. This happens frequently - enough that no one ever really thinks there is a fire. You know, students have exams and they can get out of it by pulling the alarm. Or, a balloon gets in front of the sensor, so the alarm goes off. So, the party was over for us, but we got to see a fire truck! Thursday night we had 10 students over for dinner. I dreaded it, but I as always ended up enjoying it. Plus, we got a clean house out of the deal. It seems impossible to keep up with everything one wants to keep up with in life.

Friday, once again, we dressed the kids in their costumes and went to campus as there are several residence halls (dorms, but the university doesn't want to call them that anymore) that were hosting trick-or-treaters. The best was a dorm that RJ lived in during college. If a room was participating, there was an orange paper on the door - the kids knocked and a student answered and said, "Ohhhh - they are so cute." - If they were girls, they would make these remarks. And students give tons of candy - good candy too. Add that to the candy I bought for trick-or-treaters (not thinking that we wouldn't be home to answer the door) and we have way more candy than is possible to eat.

I went to the gym 5 days last week...thank goodness.

No comments: