Monday, March 17, 2008

The Day is Coming

LJ *MUST* pee-pee and poo-poo on the potty. Enough is enough. So far, we've been VERY relaxed and he has been able to "not want to use the potty", but no mas. The end. Many people have told me that "when they're ready, they'll do it and it'll be no problem"...well, *we're* ready and LJ seems no where near "wanting" to do it.

There are no more diapers, he's in pull-ups and that too is about to come to el fin. Every so often someone on my mommy message board will tentatively ask if she is the only one who has a child who is no where close to using the potty. Turns out, she is not the only one - not even close to the only one. While I don't usually participate in those threads, I do glean bits of information from them. One lady mentioned a book that she found helpful, so I checked into "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" - read the reviews on Amazon and went and bought it. It sounds very promising. With the kind of all-out blitz this book's method promotes - I do think it might work. Plus, it takes like 5 hours or less. Terrific. Even more terrific is that I work in the mornings, so this will really be up to RJ. Frankly, he is better suited to handle this training. He has the capacity to be much more patient than I am and I think LJ is interested in learning from Daddy. We (RJ and I) have settled on the bonanza of food, drink and prizes needed to accomplish this 5 hour blitz and then DH needs to drill a hole in Joe's (LJ's doll - we gave him to have when he learned PJ was coming) bottom and mouth - so LJ can teach Joe how to pee-pee on the potty and we are pretty close to good to go! I need to buy a few other supplies like a better toilet seat (the one we have makes the "hole" too small for comfort), a bigger stool for LJ to use to get onto the potty, bigger underwear and pants so LJ can get them up and down more easily...things like this.

We have Thursday slated as "T-day". I don't have class, so I'll take PJ out of the house so there are no distractions and we'll see if this "nothing (and I mean NOTHING) but potty for several hours and tons of positive reinforcement" works.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this is very exciting. feels like a countdown for a shuttle launch.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Intense. I cannot wait to know the results.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last comment was from me, Chrissy. Remember, Annie still poops in a diaper despite charts, stickers and a large container of M&Ms sitting on the toilet.
Chrissy

Jennifer Josefy said...

this is gonna be so fun!