I have "The Reflex", by Duran Duran going through my mind, but alas - The Reflux is not nearly so nice...
I'm beginning to think that PJ might be suffering from acid reflux. He isn't much of a crank during the day, but he does spit up (usually more than once) every time after he eats - sometimes 2 or so hours later. As mentioned in the previous entry, he projectile vomited (2x) about 3 hours after having some applesauce and rice cereal...well, a few nights ago I tried some solids again...bananas and rice cereal. He threw that up too. He has eaten bananas previously and not thrown up. It really seems as though this reflux has gotten worse as he's gotten older. Looking back, I can see signs that he's always had it, but now it seems worse - with the vomit and all. There are other symptoms, like he is angry while nursing...he pulls off, not in a distracted way typical for his age, but he is crying and fussing. We are lucky if we nurse for 10 minutes a session. I thought he was fussy because he'd drained the breast, but when I pump I get 3-4 ounces out of each breast, and I doubt he's pulling 3-4 ounces in 3 minutes...right? Also, his voice is hoarse and raspy - which I read is another sign.
All of this to say - I'm beginning to think this is at least part of his problem at night. He arches his back, turns himself over on his tummy, but doesn't sleep that way...he starts crying - ALL THE TIME. Sometimes, he goes right back to sleep - other times (more often) he cries and arches his back while we're trying to comfort him. If/when we pick him up, he typically has a juicy burp or two. So, perhaps he's waking up and crying because he's in pain from acid reflux? I don't know that there is much to do other than ride it out and adjust his eating habits. He has his well-visit on Friday, but I'm pretty sure the Dr. will not be impressed (the American meaning, not the Canadian meaning - which I've come to know means "angry"). PJ is growing just fine and he's pretty content during the day (with some research, I've come to know he is a 'happy spitter' (he's got juicy burps, spitting up a lot, etc., but isn't cranky about it) and does not suffer from GERD (these babies are cranks) - it is just the night time that is driving us batty!
So far, we have taken the course of action which includes- smaller, more frequent meals and upright for about 30 minutes after. This has caused us to re-do his night routine...from bath, nurse, bed to nurse, upright for a bit, bath, bed. No big deal, but a change due to the reflux. I've read that 4-5 months is the peak and we did start to notice the signs around 4 months. As with all things baby-related, it seems we can always look at it as "things are only going to get better" - of course, different things pop up all the time...!
Oh, and let me add - PJ is pulling himself up to a standing position when he is near something that is head-height for him as he crawls around the house. Um...he'll be 6 months old tomorrow - this seems rather early for so much mobility...yikes!
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
When oldest was 7 months old, he had a lot of projectile vomiting and diahrrea and my dr. made me wean him cold turkey.
i can't BELIEVE he's pulling himself up. he'll be walking at 10 mos. is my prediction
Post a Comment