Monday, September 10, 2007

WHAAA!

This is me crying - something has possessed PJ and it is not something good. We've had major sleeping issues for the past 5 days and I'm so sleep deprived I fear there will be ramifications in other areas of my life. I'm sure RJ feels the same way, but he's generally more optimistic (we won't go into the pros/cons of such an approach in this post) than I am. PJ, not being our first child, has the benefit of our wisdom, but - PJ, not being our first child, does not respond to our wisdom in the same manner as our first child did. This is monumentally frustrating.

Let's see, where to begin? Wednesday night was a horror show as PJ woke (no joke) every hour. See, up until now - he'd been going from 8:00ish to 4:00ish without waking, so this was our routine. When he wakes up every hour - this deviates from the routine in a rather significant manner. RJ is "on duty" until 3:00, but I think (my brain is foggy) that we relented and I fed him around 2:00. So, all was well until 3:30 when I took him out to the couch and we slept (fitfully) until 6:00 when I relented and fed him again. Thursday was not much better, but I managed to get PJ to take an hour-long nap while I slept next to him on our bed. Thursday night was a tad better, but still - he was up several times and I think I fed him 2x that night. At this point, I'm hoping he's just going through a growth spurt and if he gets enough to eat, he'll pipe down. This suspicion seems to be confirmed as Jfer had a rather sleepy time with him on Friday (Jfer, correct me if I have Wednesday and Friday confused because I'm seriously brain dead). This follows the growth spurt formula. A day or two of inconsolable fussiness and wanting to eat all the time followed by a day or two of "unwakable" sleep. Terrrific! Problem solved. And, Friday night was rather normal - original normal, not most recent normal.

Saturday, Grandma, Grandpa, Mom Mom (great grandma), and great aunt and uncle came for a visit and that all went well and was a nice time. LJ managed to get a shortened nap time in, but PJ's nap time was shortened as well and we were already working on a sleep deficit...not good for Saturday night...back to horror show. Sunday was a busy day of finishing up laundry and going to the grocery store all before 3:30 when Jfer arrives for 3 hours of sitting while RJ and I go to work (this is an every Sunday thing and, while it sounds no fun (well, it isn't that pleasant), it is a great help to the regular work week). PJ had napped in a normal way on Sunday, but I think he needs a late afternoon nap and sometimes he doesn't get it/allow himself to go down for it. So, he was ready for bed when bedtime came...until 11:30 when he'd have no part of laying down. I believe I fed him and he was ok, after MANY attempts to put him down, until 4:00, when I fed him again.

Look, he's basically crying every hour or two at night...for the past several nights. Sometimes, he passes some gas and then settles down...sometimes, he's just not happy and we can't tell why. Maybe he has an ear infection? Growth spurt? WHAT???? Remember how PJ was "the happiest baby"? WELL??????

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may not like my advise....but it is that this will pass and you need to feed him and let him sleep as he wishes. I know this isn't a recipe that a lot of moms like, but feeding on demand was a savior for me and I got plenty of rest! :) Lena