Thursday, September 27, 2007

PJ Update

This entry is dedicated solely to PJ - who, as #2, has very little dedicated solely to him.

Tuesday marked PJ's 5th month, if we are going strictly by date...April 25 - Sept 25. But, if we are marking time by weeks - Wednesday marked PJ's 22nd week. If we consider a month to be 4 weeks, as it generally is, then PJ is 5 months, 2 weeks. I suppose it doesn't matter all that much...unless you are a parent who is waiting until PJ is 6 months old to start solid food. (I know I *can* feed him solids whenever *I* want, but all research indicates that it is not necessary, potentially causes/intensifies allergies, won't make them sleep any longer, etc.) With LJ (I promise not to mention him too much in this post dedicated solely to PJ), I counted down the time until I could give him solid food because feeding an infant solid food was such a novelty. With PJ, I counted down the time until I could give him solid food because he seems to want it so desperately. He intently watches every morsel of food go into people's mouths, he grabs at anything he can on my plate and tries to shove it in his mouth, he'll claw his way across the floor if LJ has something PJ deems to be food and at a level which he can feasibly army crawl his way toward...this kid just seems to be ready to eat. So, we did it - we gave him his first solid food - Sweet Potato. He opened his mouth and swallowed it down as though he's been doing this for months. In fact, RJ was feeding him sweet potatoes while he (RJ) was eating chocolate cake. RJ turned his attention toward LJ for a split second and PJ went after that cake. We have it on video - it is hilarious - you must ask to see it when you are at our house. So, PJ is on his way to a diet that includes more solids. Sweet potato passed the 3 day allergic reaction test, now he's on day three of rice cereal, and then we'll try squash.

PJ is going to crawl any day now. I know it seems early and we can't believe it ourselves, but he's going to do it. He's been flipping from back to front for a good long while now. Once on his front, he's pretty good at manipulating himself around and he shows zero desire to flip from front to back. He can do it, but I don't think he sees any point in it...I mean, no one ever got anywhere (ie - toward any food) by lying on their back! In the past couple of days, PJ has pushed himself up on his hands and feet - aka bear crawl position - and then he lowers himself to his knees and rocks back and forth. I suppose he could maintain this for quite a while without any forward movement, but I think he is ready to get around and he seems to be a very physically determined child.

PJ now has a crib in his room. We had to go buy one as LJ still loves sleeping in his - and we are in no hurry to have him out of it. It was a hand-me down from my sister, so we have only had to purchase one crib over the course of two children. This crib is a "convertible", so we'll have to figure out what to do when LJ is in a bed...do we convert this crib to a toddler bed and put PJ is LJ's crib or what? But, we'll make that decision when we have to! PJ's "theme" is jungle animals - very cute sheet, bumper, and blanket. The greens coordinate well with my super awesome green rocker/recliner in his room. The whole set-up looks really cozy and I wish I could curl up in there and sleep. We're hopeful that it will be a soothing sanctuary for PJ and that he'll love his crib as much as LJ loves his!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we forgot to see the video of p.j. going after cake while we were there. his eyes sure light up at the sight of potato chips though.