Thursday, September 13, 2007

Impulse Control?

Where to begin? I'm going to try to create a picture for you - but I doubt you will truly grasp what I'm going to tell you...since many of you haven't seen LJ's room.

1:00 - nap time. All goes normally. When LJ goes down for a nap, he usually plays for a bit (sometimes up to an hour) in his crib, but he eventually falls asleep.

Around 1:45, PJ wakes from his nap and I start feeding him.

2:00 - I hear a thump and then LJ crying. I put PJ in his bouncy seat - (he was none too happy about being cut-off mid-meal) and go to LJ's room.

I open the door and the first thing I see it a puddle on the floor and a tipped over bottle of rubbing alcohol. This had previously been on the chest of drawers next to LJ's crib. This is a tall chest of drawers and everything has been put out of his reach...thanks to the "band-aid" incident a few weeks ago. My eye goes from the puddle to see that LJ is standing in his crib with the front of his shirt pulled over and behind his head, but his arms are still in it. He has taken off his pants and his diaper, so he is void of clothes...except on his arms. The clock radio, lamp, piggy bank, and various pictures and frames (notice I list them separately - they were separated...and one, ripped in half) in his crib. And, remember LJ is crying...he is upset because his pacifier is on the floor - As if I'm going to come in, see this sight, pick up his pacifier, hand it to him and walk away.

I scolded him pretty harshly as I cleaned up the mess and re-clothed him...telling him that the lamp is dangerous, I'm really sad that he ripped the picture, etc. and he cried and cried all the while telling me that he doesn't know why he did it. Finally, he yawned as he said he was sorry. I took all fun things out of his crib (toy and book) and told him he'd be wise to just go to sleep.

PJ finished eating while I called RJ to tell him about "his son". We laughed about it and concluded that LJ just couldn't help himself. He likely got one thing off the chest of drawers and then kept going...I guess he must have hoisted himself up onto it a bit - that's the only way he could have reached everything. I guess we should be thankful that he didn't hurt himself or drink the rubbing alcohol - (there, I said the required things, so don't chastise us :-) )

I had to go wake LJ up from this nap - I think he figured he'd better wait until I came to get him. I asked him to tell me what we talked about before his nap and he pointed to the chest and said, "those things do not belong in my crib" - then I asked about his diaper and he said, "it does not belong in my crib either." (we told him last week that he cannot take his diaper off in his crib, so I was glad he repeated it - we'll give the potty training update later) I was satisfied, but I bet RJ will have a few words to say when he gets home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Coming home to a phone message of LJ singing the ABC song -- priceless

Anonymous said...

Listening to LJ, on his own accord, sing the ABC song to a crying PJ and following it with, "don't cry PR - be happy" -- heartwarming!