Monday, July 24, 2006

Water Babies 2006

Today was the first day of Water Babies for the 2006 summer season. As you might recall, LJ was a regular fish in the water last summer. He enjoyed our classes so much. Knowing how much he also enjoys his bath, this summer looked to be rather enjoyable.

LJ didn't care for it too much - at first. We have the same teacher as last summer and she did recognize LJ...who could forget his adorable face? We have a 16-month old boy and a girl who is 2 1/2 in our class as well. The other 2 kids loved it from the first minute in the water. LJ clung to me like never before and shook is head saying, "nooo, nooo" for quite a while. We started out by singing some songs which at some point involve splishing, splashing, blowing bubbles, and/or jumping into the water. When the singing began, LJ started to cry. The only way LJ would not cry is if I did not sing, did not move, did not participate in any way. If I stood perfectly still, he wouldn't cry...he'd just say, "nooo" every so often.

Once singing was over, the teacher got out the toys. The 16-month old and LJ played together...LJ would throw the ball; the other boy would get it and would throw it back. You realize that we mommies are holding the babies at all times, right? This game of catch seemed to loosen LJ's tensions, so I tried to turn him around so that he would be facing out. After prying his hands off my neck, we managed to get it done and...LJ discovered it wasn't so bad. Then, I threw the ball way out and told LJ we needed to go get it. I put him on his belly and skimmed him through the water to get the ball. He enjoyed this very much. Eventually, he even put his face in and blew bubbles like he does in the tub.

So, it ended on a positive note, but I expect that tomorrow there will still be some misgivings at the beginning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe the peer pressure finally got to him. KJ

Anonymous said...

Well???? How'd he do today? Or do we have to tune in for next week's episode to find out? ;)

KK