You may call it "time out", but those of us who've watched The Suppernanny call it the "naughty spot" - we call ours the "naughty chair". I cannot take credit for this, RJ came up with it and I have to admit, I never thought it would work. I figured LJ was still too young to sit somewhere if he didn't want to sit there, but I was wrong.
Things were getting exasperating for a while...LJ climbing onto the dining room table...LJ climbing up to where the M&Ms are...LJ using the piano bench to grab things on top of the piano...LJ climbing onto the computer chair and up onto the desk...LJ opening the refrigerator for "sheese"...you get the idea. Figuring he was too young for a "naughty spot", I could see spanking in our future - not that I'm against spanking as a remedy for naughtiness, but I don't want it to come to that if something else is effective. And, the naughty chair is effective - so far.
This morning LJ wanted more milk. I was in the middle of spooning oatmeal into a bowl, so I said, "just a second." LJ did not care to wait "just a second," so he took matters into his own hands and opened the refrigerator himself. He does this one time a day, so he knows the consequence, but sometimes I see that look in his eye that tells me that he is just going to make sure that is still the consequence. Sometimes I don't see that look and I guess his young mind has forgotten there is a consequence? Whatever the reason...off to the naughty chair he goes.
Most of the following procedure is what RJ developed and then shared with me so that there is consistency. I've added my own flair where appropriate...
I lead him over by the hand, lift him up and tell him to sit. He fusses at first. Sometimes he full-on cries. I leave the room because we think he should sit in the naughty chair in solitary. Then he starts saying, "no, no, no" to himself and I stand in the other room smiling and trying not to laugh. It is so cute to hear him reprimanding himself. After 2 minutes or so, I go back in, ask him if he's ready to be a good boy - he usually nods and says, “yes.” Then I tell him "only mommy and daddy open the refrigerator. LJ should not open the refrigerator. Do you understand?" To which he usually nods and says, “yes.” Then I say, "let me give you a kiss" and he moves forward to kiss me and then I say, "I love you" and give him a hug.
For the next few minutes, my heart melts as LJ makes amends. He either follows me around and pats my leg every so often as he talks to me in words I don't understand, but that he says with great inflection...it sounds loving - OR - he goes and plays by himself as if to put some space between us so we can all just forget about the action that led to the naughty chair. Either way, he is a very good boy for a few hours following a naughty chair episode.
I can't believe how easily the naughty chair works. There really isn't any big fuss - sometimes he'll whimper a little the first few seconds he sits in the naughty chair, but that transitions to, "no, no, no" and then he just sits there quietly (or talking to himself) until I come get him. After that, he doesn't open the refrigerator anymore - that day. I'm sure the naughty chair will cease to be as effective at some point, but for now - I have to give props to daddy.
Saturday, July 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, how cute. That LJ! Annie has started saying things like "I sorry" followed by "Mommy happy?" Maybe we should start a naughty chair too.
Chrissy
Wow, I long for solutions as simple as the naughty chair....sigh. Enjoy it while it lasts!
:) Lena
Post a Comment