Last week was perhaps the most horrific week I've known on the home front. You think I am being dramatic, but it was pretty bad. RJ was very sick most of the week and LJ had a cold/ear infection. The congestion and pain kept him up most of the night and RJ (the night-time go-to guy) was down for the count.
So, this left me.
I am not good without some sleep. I am not good during the night. I am a day person. The night depresses me. I am not as good as RJ at getting LJ to sleep when he doesn't feel well. There were nights when RJ had to get up (even though he didn't feel well) to help me. I'd get LJ to sleep in my arms and when I'd try to put him down, he'd scream. If I tried to just sit down, he'd scream. There were many times that we were both crying together. Interestingly, LJ would stop crying as soon as I'd start. RJ took my crying as a signal that I was losing my mind and would get up with him for a couple of hours. Finally, RJ and I had a talk, the result of which made me decide that I needed to change my attitude about the night. So...
We pulled out the sofa bed on the back porch, left the computer on (so that the slide show screen saver was on - LJ loves to look at our family pictures), put the TV remote next to the sofa bed, and prepared for the night. Sure enough, LJ woke up at 10:00 and I was on. I picked him up, we propped up on the bed and he watched the slide show and fell asleep. My mistake - I tried to move him to his crib. He screamed. So, we came back out, but at this time he was wide awake. We watched the slide show, I watched Melrose Place on the DVR, we read books, etc. Then, he tired out again; I rocked him to sleep and tried to sit back down on the sofa bed...screams. RJ woke up and rescued us (it was 1:00). He got LJ to sleep and in his crib by 2:30. We all slept until 5:30, when LJ was up again. I did not cry this night, so I considered it a success...the power of positive thinking.
LJ is on the mend...he's slept like normal the last 3 night and we are thankful. RJ is also on the mend and for that we are thankful - just in time for Thanksgiving!
LJ has started to scream when put in the bath. He used to love his bath and would eagerly chunk his toys in when bath time came. Now, he clings to us and tries to pull himself out. Did this happen to your children or any children you know? What did you do?!
Monday, November 21, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Glad to hear you are all getting healthy again! We missed you over the weekend.
M usually didn't want to take baths, then she didn't want to get out! I think one of her favorite tub toy was washable finger paint/soaps, makes a bit of a mess, but it washes off easily, and she was eager to get in the bath when she could paint! Good Luck! -A
Post a Comment