We thought we were such good parents, or LJ was such an obedient boy, or some combination of the two. When we first started to give LJ water in a sippy cup, he’d drop it off the side of his high chair when he no longer wanted it. We “worked” on this and thought he understood “give the cup to mommy” as eventually he started handing it to me when he was finished. Well, that is so over.
Now, LJ doesn’t just drop the cup off the side as though he is musing the effects of gravity…no, he throws it and he puts some english on it too. There is no in-between time either. He’s either drinking from his cup or chunking it. Where did the comprehension go? Was it ever there? Were we just fooling ourselves into thinking that he was “obeying” us? Is this a boy thing or a toddler thing?
On the off chance that he just wants to test me, I’ve decided to stop reacting to it. Maybe with no reaction from me, he’ll decide it isn’t worth it. I am contemplating not giving him the water cup once he chunks it…unless he points at it on the floor and screams (which he does a lot now), but then I think of how thirsty I would be if I were eating what he’s eating and I cave and offer him a drink. For a brief moment we share a connection as I provide for his need, then he rips the cup out of his mouth and wildly throws it to the floor. And, you know how I feel about that.
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ok, this is just funny. Welcome to the world of Independent Toddler!! It only gets better....
:) Scooter Girl
at the risk of sounding redundant from comment number one, welcome to the next 2 years of your life. KJ
Post a Comment