Saturday, June 04, 2005

Scootching

Little LJ is figuring out how to get around in his little world. He is becoming a mighty proficient scootcher, but he either scootches in a circle or he scootches backward. This scotching backward frustrates him as what he wants to get is usually in front of him. Today, while RJ was talking to M – LJ’s cousin who lives in London – LJ scootched himself off of the carpet and onto the hardwood floor. This allowed him to chart previously unscootched territory and landed him under the television. If you know of our television and the piece of furniture on which is sits, you might have a chuckle imagining LJ scootched backward under there. I believe that this backward scotching is a genetic trait handed down from RJ, who likes to back into parking spaces!

LJ still LOVES his jumpy seat and is perfecting his landing. He jumps, jumps, jumps and then – bam – straight legs and sticks the landing. And, all of this occurs with a grin from ear to ear.

LJ does not love his new car seat. He has outgrown the weight and height restrictions of his infant seat, so he had to get a new car seat. This seat sits him up rather straight and he doesn’t seem to fancy it as much as he did his old one. He had gotten to where, in the old one, he’d just close his eyes and fall asleep (when tired). In the new car seat, he howls and cries and refuses to accept the change (when tired). Another minus - the old infant seat was so easy to pop out of the car and onto the grocery cart or onto the high chair at a restaurant. This new one is permanent in the car, so LJ comes out and has to sit up on his own in the grocery store, etc. He doesn’t quite have sitting-up perfected, so this is a pain. For now, we are caring the old infant seat with us, putting LJ in that when we get to our destination, and proceeding as we did of old. This just adds another step to an already tedious process, but…you do what you have to do.

In food news, bananas have passed muster and there appear to be no allergic reactions, so we have moved on to pears. LJ seems to LOVE pears and overall, he is a much more enthusiastic solid-food eater. We had been letting him gnaw on Zweiback Toast or a Bitter Biscuit, but we had to put the brakes on that. He doesn’t really gnaw…he sucks and twice he has gotten a big hunk stuck to the roof of his mouth. The causes him to start gagging and, frankly, this is too close to choking for us (parents). So, a beloved food has been retired for the time being. I have been breaking Cheerios in half and letting him “eat” those. Those he gnaws on with an up and down jaw action…go figure!

Question:

I am retiring the question portion of this blog.
#1 – participation is down.
#2 – I can’t think of anymore questions.
#3 – I didn’t particularly feel good about the “things I might not tell LJ” question.
I guess I started it down the “MJ as a juvenile delinquent” path by sharing my story concerning petty theft, so I had it coming! To quote my mother, “I read some rather disturbing things on the blog.” To which I replied, “Yes, I don’t remember some of those.” To which she retorted, “Well, I hope they didn’t happen.” Then I had to remind her that I am 33 years old and have turned out “fine”, so these things are really nothing about which to worry.

But, I find it odd that no one thinks I might be too humble to share all of the nice, caring, and loving qualities I possess ;-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sorry your mom is retiring the question part of the blog. It was fun. I guess she got kinda "burned" on the last one. There is something I wanted to tell you about your mom, and she probably won't sit you down and say, "LJ did you know I am really funny?", but she is really funny. I always laugh alot when I am around her. So despite all her "delinquent" activities, she is a funny and fun person to be around.
Chrissy
PS Your mom is in no way, shape or form a "delinquent". It makes me laugh (see, again I laugh when even thinking about your mom) imagining your mom as a teenage hoodlum.

Anonymous said...

Agree 100% with comment from Chrissy. Your mom and I have shared some of the best laughs ever, the kind that leave your tummy hurting and your face tired. And they were usually over something that only her and I would find so side-splittingly funny. A side note...about those baby biscuits. Hanna loved those biscuits so much that somehow we started calling Biscuit, which quickly turned to Biz and she went by only Biz til she started preschool at the age of 3. It was so bad that Emma introduced people to others as Biz and didn't know her name!! Finally with the arrival of school, Hanna insisted on no more Biz!!!

Lena

Anonymous said...

Finally posted some memories of dad. As far as you turning out "fine" we should wait until LJ is a teen and then ask him how you turned out.... I think I am "fine" my kids think I am weird, strict, goofy, and sometimes just plain hilarious.

I too have many fond memories of belly laughs with Martha and Richard ( as long as we don't play charades - however you spell that)

Big Bro

Anonymous said...

My daddy is not weird!! :)