Tuesday, November 23, 2010

First Tantrum

...aka - PJ threw a wall-eyed fit.

Today is a school-day for both the boys, but today LJ had a field trip. His class went on a nature walk. While I wasn't a chaperon, I had plans to meet the class at the trail head and go on the walk with them. Apparently, LJ's teacher had told the class that it was very important for them to wear long pants and closed-toe shoes because the trail is overgrown and sticks and brush would tickle their legs. LJ took this to heart and insisted on wearing his jacket and gloves as well. There was no talking him out of it and I didn't even really try. Who am I to try to reason with him? - It was only 80 degrees with about 80% humidity. I did try to talk logic with him...I asked, "what are you going to do with your jacket if you get hot?" - his reply, "I'll ask you to hold it." I said, "what if I'm not there?" - his reply, "I'll just keep it on." Okay then. Of course, LJ wearing his gloves made PJ want to wear his gloves and this, along with general lack of sleep and proper diet and just plain being 3, was the beginning of PJ's tantrum-making.

REJ and I did indeed meet up with LJ's class. It was super-humid. The trail was overgrown and brushy. LJ did wear his jacket (with the hood on) and gloves for the entire hike. And, he did ask me to hold his jacket during the after-hike snack...I told him that I would not hold it - he brought it, it was his responsibility.

After the field trip, I stopped at the grocery store 1) to buy chicken stock and 2) to kill the 20 minutes I needed to kill before I could go pick the boys up from school and, by this time, REJ had lost her sunny disposition. She was tired and wanted to nap, but you know how babies are...they can't just close their eyes and go to sleep. She finally fell asleep on the way to school...

PJ gets out of school at 11:30, so we waited outside his classroom and he seemed happy enough when we were united. After the "Happy Thanksgiving" cheers to his teachers and classmates, we waited at a patio table for LJ to be out at 11:45. REJ was now awake, but since we were outside, she was ok. PJ saw LJ outside his door (they had just finished outside time...recess, as we called it back in my day...) and ran up to him. As best as I could make out through the loud crying, pouty mouth and tears - LJ rebuked PJ and told him to leave him alone. LJ was still "in school", but let's face it - LJ has been getting more and more "automatic" with his responses and his filter isn't really working well these days. Additionally, PJ crys ALL.THE.TIME. about EVERYTHING. This gets really old. So, I'm trying to get PJ to stop HOWLING. I assure him that I understand why he's upset. I let him know that no matter how loudly he cries, he isn't going to be able to play with LJ right now - he's in his classroom, etc. Then PJ remembers that he took his gloves to school and he forgot them in his cubby. HOWLING CRIES! Oh the humanity! Forgot them in his cubby! So, we go to his classroom to find them. THEY AREN'T in his CUBBY! HOWL! I figured they were in RJ's truck, but Mrs. F remembered taking them off after his outside time...where PJ had convinced her to be Batgirl to his Batman. We (the non-fit throwing adults) decided he'd have to get them next week because we couldn't find them...later, I found them in the folder in his backpack.

We finally get outside where LJ is waiting for us to arrive so his teacher can release him...and we start to walk to the car. PJ begins HOWLING again...who knows why at this point? REJ is starting to wither and LJ is being kind of pouty himself. I just want everyone to get in the car so we can continue this drama in the privacy of our vehicle. But NOOOO - now PJ is just beside himself and when I tell him to sit in his seat he SCREAMS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - at the top of his lungs and through tears. Of course, I'm thinking, "this kid needs a nap in a baaad way" and I tell him that we are going to go home, eat lunch, and take a nap. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO - no surprise - he doesn't want to take nap. Finally, I tell him to just not talk the rest of the way home...if he talks on the way home, he'll take a nap with no lunch. NOOOOOOOOOO - he wants to eat lunch. PJ frequently misses the "if" part of the "if-then" statement and reacts to the "then" without realizing he has some control here. Finally, he stops having a freak-out and I tell LJ that him telling PJ to leave him alone hurt PJ. How would he feel if he came up to me, happy to see me, and I told him to leave me alone? - he said he'd say ok and not mind. He's sneaky that one...he knows when you are leading him down a certain path and he rejects it...he is just like his Momma. I told him I thought he should consider apologizing to PJ...so he does. And then PJ starts to talk, but then his eyes well up and I ask him what's wrong...he wants to say "ok LJ", but he can't because he's not supposed to talk. About that time REJ starts crying because she is 1) exhausted and 2) hungry.

Serenity Now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AHHHHH, the joys of motherhood!

Anonymous said...

It's the "middle child syndrom!" Hang in there. Mom

Unknown said...

Wow. I had forgotten the days from ____. I guess you don't want to hear "You'll really laugh about this story some day." and "Things do get better." So I will just say Congrats that you didn't sit down on the sidewalk and start bawling and that your kids are still alive.

Anonymous said...

Can I use this forum to wish you a Happry Birthday?

Big Bro