She couldn't tell if she was feeling a hand or a foot, but she knew it was a small part. Pulled in the portable ultrasound machine - double footling breech. And, the placenta is high, but in front - not in back. Last week, when I was having contractions, she did an internal exam and said she felt the head, so I guess this one flipped within the last week. The problem with footling breech appears to be that, if you go into labor and your cervix starts to dilate and thin...the foot/feet will drop out before the cervix is open enough for the rest of the baby to fit through. Plus, you don't know how the head will come out, the cord is more likely to prolapse, and I'd imagine I could likely suffer a good bit of trauma "down there" - so, it seems drs. are not interested in a vaginal delivery with a footling breech. Frankly, I'm not interested in it either.
So, according to my OB the options are 1) schedule a c-section for next week (I don't want to have a c-section) or 2) schedule a version manipulation next week and, should it work, be induced so the baby doesn't have time to flip back. Should it not work, have a c-section. Also, since my placenta is in front, it is more possible it might separate during the version and I'd need to have an emergency c-section. I'm supposed to call on Monday with our "decision".
RJ and I are thinking we'll add a third option - do the version and, if successful, go home and wait for labor to begin. If the baby flips back to breech - potentially do another version and then induce labor. Or, if the baby flips again - have the c-section if the 1st version was particularly bothersome. The OB gave the option of having an epidural for the version and then inducing, so if there is a need for a 2nd version and the 1st was bothersome, I could do the 2nd with an epidural.
We're hoping and praying the baby will flip back between now and next week. To encourage this, I've laid on the couch with my bottom/hips propped with pillows and my feet/legs over the back. This does get the baby's head to move from the top by my ribs to the left side. It is suggested to do this 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time - it does get uncomfortable rather quickly - perhaps doing it NOT right after a meal would help! I'm also going to get in the pool today and do some flips. These things seem to be helpful for women on the Internet. I'm not going to put a sack of frozen vegetables near the baby's head and shine a flashlight at the bottom of my uterus...that one seems a bit odd to me.
We're hoping and praying the baby will flip back between now and next week. To encourage this, I've laid on the couch with my bottom/hips propped with pillows and my feet/legs over the back. This does get the baby's head to move from the top by my ribs to the left side. It is suggested to do this 3 times a day for 20 minutes each time - it does get uncomfortable rather quickly - perhaps doing it NOT right after a meal would help! I'm also going to get in the pool today and do some flips. These things seem to be helpful for women on the Internet. I'm not going to put a sack of frozen vegetables near the baby's head and shine a flashlight at the bottom of my uterus...that one seems a bit odd to me.
2 comments:
Flip baby flip!
Fascinating post. Good luck with the footling breech. Sounds like this little one's ready to hit the ground running. I'll continue to pray for you and the baby to have a safe and easy delivery.
KK
Post a Comment