Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ross "Chest"

When I got home from work this morning, LJ and RJ had the checkers/chess/backgammon box out. RJ had been trying - with some success - to teach LJ how to play checkers. So, I sat down with LJ while RJ went to get ready for work. LJ wanted to play "the other game" - which I discovered is chess and not backgammon. LJ told me, "Ross likes to play chest" and that he wanted to play "chest" too. I showed him how to set up the pieces, but I told him that I think chess is a bit complicated for a 3-year-old...maybe we could play "LJ chess"? He said, "no, I want to play "Ross 'Chest'". So, I attempted to show him how the difference pieces are allowed to move and then LJ agreed 'chest' is too much for a 3-year old, "but maybe I can play 'chest' when I'm 4"?!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. When he's ready, move is 1 e4. But on a more serious note, I have found the best way to keep kids from getting overwhelmed with the move rules is to play a few games with only pawns. Then add a piece at a time and play a few games each time. Before you know it, really young kids will be whipping moves out left and right.

R

Unknown said...

Yeah, MLJ! See and here you were trying to stifle your child's brain capabilities!!! You should visit the website parents.berkeley.edu to see that there are some kids who have playing since they were 3. Maybe ross can teach him by correspondence!