LJ has really sharpened his negotiating skills - I'd say this has all transpired over the past 2 months. It all started when he decided he didn't particularly care to ride in a cart at any of the stores we frequent. At first, it was the typical, "nooooo, no cart", but he'd eventually relent (with the help of some redirection, "here, play with mama's keys") and all would be fine. I suppose it is our fault for giving him a taste of freedom as we started letting him hold a hand and walk from the car to the carts. With #2 on the way, I decided it is important to get LJ to the point where I can depend on him to walk while holding my hand…without trying to escape.
LJ quickly transitioned from accepting his fate to starting the negotiations much earlier in the process. In the car - on the way to the store - we started hearing, "no cart, hold mama's hand" or "no cart, hold dada's hand". When all of us are going to a store for one or two items, we grant his request, but I've held firm to "at the grocery store, you have to ride in the cart"...I've even gone so far as to tell him, "the grocery store MAKES us use a cart". He rebels a bit at first, but once I give him some grocery item and ask him to put it in the cart, it is all fine. It is funny because his protests aren't in the form of crying - he actually says things (I can't understand them) in a very inflective tone.
In the past week, these negotiations have taken a slightly different turn. We no longer hear, "no cart, hold hands" - instead, as we reach our destination, LJ folds his hands and says, "I pray mama" or "I pray dada". See…now he can't hold hands because he is praying. He's a smart one, isn't he? Of course, I try very hard not to laugh. I’ve told him that many people pray holding hands, but he didn't really go for that one. Dada trumps it all and tells him, "well, since you are busy praying and you have to hold hands to walk, I'll just have to carry you." I imagine that LJ will quickly figure out that praying doesn't get him what he really wants in this situation, but I'll have to let you know what his next attempt is...
Monday, February 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
over here they just put their kids on leashes... we can bring you back one at the end of the month if you want it.
That's just adorable. What a smart kid! Quite a problem solver, isn't he? Not only did he figure out a way to keep his hands busy, he did it in a way that was so cute and sweet that weaker parents might have caved in! How do you say no to a kid who is busy "praying"? As his godmother, I'm pleased to read that he knows the proper praying hands position.
KK
Post a Comment