Friday, June 16, 2006

Baby Cardinal and The Tomato Plant That Ate The Js

There has been a flurry of activity outside our dining room window. About 4 weeks ago, we noticed a nest in our bush. We were delighted to discover that it is a cardinal nest and not the nest of a boring sparrow or mourning dove like we usually get in our hanging baskets. The was only one egg and the momma cardinal is a big scared-y cat - she flies off if anyone so much as walks through the dining room. The egg hatched earlier this week, so now when the momma comes to the nest we see a little beak open up and chirp in hopes of food. Every now and then, the daddy cardinal comes to visit and he is brilliant red and very handsome. LJ doesn't care too much about these birds, but RJ and I are enjoying them.

Also about a month ago, we noticed a "weed" in our bed of Lantana (this bed also holds the bush that is currently hosting the cardinal family). Being the lazy gardener that I am, this weed continued to grow until we started to think it resembles a tomato plant (as it has little yellow flowers). We scratched our heads and wondered how a tomato plant could take root in our lantana bed - perhaps a bird brought a seed to this location? We certainly didn't plant it - I don't even like tomatoes! Well, this plant has grown and grown and grown - it has taken over the lantana bed. It is huge - it has lopped over the edge of the bed and is about to start climbing up our dining room window. It produces tons of grape-sized tomatoes that RJ and LJ pick and eat on a daily basis. Production has outpaced their consumption.

I'm hoping that Aunt KJ will enjoy these tomatoes during their visit this week...I know Uncle RJ doth detest tomatoes as much as I, but KJ loves all things fruit and vegetable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're right - that is some news to get excited about - should I look up some recipes for home-canned tomatoes?? (just kidding) Not kidding about being excited but about home canning which I know not how to do. My mouth is watering already! KJ

Anonymous said...

had fun thanks for letting us stay with you! luke is lucky to have such great POTS! tehehe

-rebekah

Anonymous said...

this morning I missed waking up to the sound of little running feet and I had an incredible craving for bacon....Auntie K (our new thing is to hold our pointer finger in the air when we have something important to say)