Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Glitch in the Matrix

As LJ sits guzzling his milk – and I do mean guzzling…he sucks down his morning 6 ounces in less than 2 minutes…and rarely stops to breath, I’m pondering what has happened to our “easy to put to bed” baby. On Sunday night, LJ screamed as RJ put him to bed…and that resulted in an hour and a half of work for RJ before LJ succumbed. Monday’s naps went fine and Monday night was normal. Last night (Tuesday) there was more screaming, but RJ got him to sleep within 30 minutes. BUT, last night was punctuated with a 2:00 am and a 4:00 am scream fest. RJ got him quieted down within 5 minutes, but – what the heck?! (See, I told you, RJ is the night time guy, so when he was sick last month…I missed that contribution!)

I’ll admit that we had gotten out of the habit of a bath every night – remember, baths were making him scream. Tuesday night, we did give him a bath and he went to sleep fine. It was probably a fluke, but hey, if I had to wear the same PJs every night to get him to sleep easily – I’d do it. So, we’ll start there…reestablishing a routine that includes a bath. We still had a routine, it just didn’t include a full-on bath every night…some nights it was a sponge bath.

Could he be teething – those 1 year molars?
Question – do all the other teeth have to be in before the molars come in?

Could it just be a phase?
Question – did your children (or children you know) go through entire phases where they didn’t go to bed? I have the feeling I’m not going to like the answers I get to this one.

Could he need fewer hours of sleep? I’m sure he won’t need a total of 15 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period forever (including naps, this is about how many hours he gets).
Question – wouldn’t he cut out a nap instead of shorten his night sleep?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Answer: all children are different!

Wasn't that helpful?!
:) Lena

Anonymous said...

Sorry this is coming a few days late, but Annie has had a few nights where she has been waking up for no apparent reason. Her molars are coming in before her other teeth. I think the teeth are huring her and that's why she is crying during the night so much more lately. I feel your pain.

Chrissy