Saturday, September 3, 2011 - seemed like such a nice day. We had the Js over for a swim and cookout. There was much fun and happiness and all appeared to have a nice time. I was proud of myself for dividing the menu and assigning various items to various people. All came through with super-good items. The next day was nice as well. We went to church and got various things done around the house. Then, at 7:30ish - Paul threw up. At dinner, he hadn't eaten much and he said his tummy hurt, but I didn't pay much attention. I even thought his throwing up was a one time fluke...
Until he threw up again and again and again. And then, around 11:00 - Luke started throwing up. And then, around 12:30 - Ruth started throwing up. Sunday night was horrible. Richard and I were up with sick children ALL.NIGHT.LONG. They boys were made to sleep on their bedroom floor with individual buckets next to their heads. I help Ruth in the rocking chair (with towels draped everywhere over everything) and caught her vomit in a towel every 90 minutes or so. Thankfully, she was very docile in between. Richard ran the washing machine all night long as every sheet and towel we own was put into play.
Come Monday morning, the children were finished throwing up, but the other end was a problem. Oh, and the boys had low-grade fever...they lounged around all day. Richard and I felt grossed out by the entire house and did a major scrub down which included renting a carpet steamer. Then, at 9:00 that night - Richard and I had our turns. I threw up every hour from 9:00 - 4:00 and Richard has less of a problem. Thank the Lord we weren't ALL sick at the same time...I don't know what we would have done.
It seems that 11 of the 15 of us had some manifestation of this super-bug. We have done much noodling on the cause. We have concluded that we don't think it was food poisoning, BUT that the virus did get ON the food or in the pool and that is how it spread to so many people. The food seems more likely than the pool. I think it was Norovirus, but I don't really know. At any rate, I CLEANED out the fridge - scrubbed down and threw away all food (including condiments) from that night. The house has been scrubbed and the pool has been cleaned and the chemicals are still in balance.
Luke missed 2 days of school and had some make-up work to do. Richard missed 3 days of work. I had to give one of my classes a walk...I just couldn't teach 3 hours after finishing vomiting! It was several days of tender tummies, but we all seemed to be back to normal over the weekend.
Then...Sunday night, Luke came into our room and was burning up. He is on day 2 of fever and sore throat. We are going to the dr. this afternoon...over 2 days of solid fever and sore throat is suspicious. I actually hope it is strep because antibiotics will kick it. He is now on day 2 of missing school THIS week. The teaching is going to think he is a sicky, but - the truth is that he has been our least sick child! Poor kid though...he's had a tough couple of weeks!
Now, I need to make "The 1st Birthday Bundt Cake" for our little Ruthie as tomorrow is her 1st Birthday - can you believe THAT? I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by!
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment