Thursday, October 29, 2009

Learning to Read

I decided to teach LJ to read. I was at the campus library in the curriculum section, so I checked out a 1st grade reader and a kindergarten teacher's book for reading. Then, I came home and googled "how to teach a child to read" because I really don't remember anything that I might have learned in any classes I might have taken that might have touched on this topic. I found a website that seems logical and set about educating myself.

I decided to start with a picture chart...one that has each letter and a picture of a thing that starts with that letter sound. I sat down with LJ and pointed to a letter and said, "What letter is this?" - he answered correctly - "R". I asked, "What is this a picture of?" - he answered correctly - "Rabbit". So, I said, "That's right...Rrrrabbit...R makes an rrrr sound." LJ says, "I know this Momma" - so I said, "Really? Ok, what sound does S make?" LJ says, "Ssss". I think, Hmmm...ok..."What sound does A make?" - LJ looks to the ceiling, thinks for a second and says the correct sound. I said, "how do you know this LJ? Where did you learn this?" His reply...with exasperation..."On the computer - when I work on my letters!"

About a year ago I made a link to Starfall on the computer...LJ does get on there sometimes, but I had NO IDEA he knew all of his letter sounds. Heck, for all I know he can already read! Tomorrow, we are going to discuss blend sounds...

1 comment:

Mary said...

I tried to stay out of the way when it came to my kids learning their letters, and to read. I rather enjoyed the miracle of them coming home from school one day and they could read. Wow - I thought those teachers must be magical! I did find,however, that I would have to teach them to tie their own shoes!