Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Recovering from the Weekend

We were out of town over the weekend. A friend's 40th birthday celebration. We had fun and the kids behaved well all weekend. We are such sticklers for routine that I admit I was a bit worried about how the kids would do when not following the normal sequence of events, but we kept it tight and they did great.

One thing I hate about being away for the weekend - all the things I get done over the weekend (laundry and grocery shopping, for example) are still waiting for me when I get back...and I hate having to cram that stuff into the work week.

I learned that I had been committing an exercise blunder - a sin, really - on the treadmill. I had been holding onto the bars. Shhhh...please keep my secret. I knew it was kind of lazy, BUT - I was walking over 4 mph and on an incline, so how lazy is that? I was doing some research on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and was looking up ideas for a routine on the treadmill. The article I read said, "click here if you are still holding onto the bars on the treadmill" - and then chastised me about it. So....I knocked my speed down to 3.2 mph and ceased to hold on. OMG - talk about getting my heart rate up...I spent the entire workout (walking up 3 hills...with an incline between 2% and 10%) in the upper ranges of my maximum heart rate. According to my monitor - I burned as many calories in 30 minutes as I was burning in 40. I did this on Friday and again yesterday. Today was Body Pump and that is always a challenge, but so rewarding. I have 2 new muscles (biceps and deltoids) to show for my efforts - which is good because I have not lost one single pound in 4 weeks. Which brings me to...

I am mad at my newest ipod app. It uses linear regression to analyze your weight (which you enter everyday) and it'll tell you what your "true weight" is and if you are on a losing trend or gaining trend. It also estimates how many calories extra you consumed or how many you were in deficit. It is just doing a these stats that I could do, but wouldn't. I needed something to entertain me while I am not seeing the scale move. Well, my weight was 2.5 pounds higher yesterday than it was on Friday (I didn't drink much fluid over the weekend and I ate out...so, while I didn't eat HORRIBLY - I did "gain" 2.5 pounds). Yesterday was the last day of data my "weight trend" needed to start analyzing my situation. It shows that I am on a STEEP weight incline trend and that I ate 2950 calories more (per day) than I need to maintain...and that, if I keep it at this rate - I'll gain 25 pounds this month. Of course, I know it just doesn't have enough data to be accurate, but still...talk about rude!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's ridiculous!! If that was true you could only eat every other day. I'm going out of town over the weekend. Hope I remember to call you first. Mom