I have to admit that LJ still has (had) his pacifier. We have always kept pacifier use confinded to the bed and only available during sleep-time, but - up until last Sunday, LJ still had his. Mind you, this is the same pacifier he's had since he was 8 months old (the last time we bought a pacifier for him). It was part of a 2-pack and one has been lost for a long time, so this was it. This thing was mangled, had holes in it and could not be too satisfying for him. About a month ago, I told LJ that he could take his pacifier to the toy store and trade it in for a toy. He thought about it and said, "when I get 5, I'll do that". I told him I didn't know if his pacifier would make it until he as 5 and I let it go. Last Thursday, I noticed the top bulb of the rubber part was hanging by a thread and I told him I had to take it off because it was dangerous...so, he had a stump for a pacifier. I told him that he needed to trade it in soon - if it gets too bad, the toy store won't take it. Last Friday, during nap time, I gave it to him and he told me I could put it back in the drawer - he didn't want it. Frankly, for about 6 months now - whenever I'd go in his room at night - he wouldn't have it in his mouth anyway. Last Saturday, we were out running errands and he said he wanted to go to the toy store, so I asked if he brought his pacifier and he hadn't, so we made plans to go on Sunday. Sunday came and he was ready to go. We took his pacifier and headed to the toy store.
LJ picked out a round-house for his train set and he was all-too-proud to hand the cashier his pacifier. I stayed behind to "get the receipt" and we went home and set up his round house. LJ has talked a little about missing his pacifier, but it is quickly followed by how much he loves his new toy. He has some ideas for what PJ should get when he trades in his pacifier...that kid is always scheming.
So, that is it. He is no longer a baby at all. That was the last thing. He still has a blanket he sleeps with, but I still have my baby blanket too...I don't sleep with it, but I have it.
I remember having my pacifier, so I was never itching for LJ to get rid of it...I figured it'd happen when it happened. I remember being told that we left my pacifier at my grandmother's house - being very upset about this sudden loss - and then SEEING MY PACIFIER IN THE TRASH CAN. I didn't take it out because I think I knew what was going on. They were going to take it away from me anyway. I recall feeling socked in the stomach - now, I would label that emotion...betrayed. It all worked out fine - I am a functioning adult with no parental issues, but I wanted LJ to come to this decision on his own...with just a little prodding from me!
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
This is a nice story. When I had to get rid of my pacifier, my mom made me throw it out the car window, so that way I would know it was GONE. Not nearly as sweet as going to the toy store. :)
Lena
Lena - that is the saddest thing I've heard all day.
When I was 5, i walked by the outdoor trash can next to our house and what should i notice but my beloved striped tiger stuffed animal!!!!
What children should learn is to suck their thumb because they CANT TAKE THAT AWAY FROM YOU!!!
That worked out nicely for me. And it's still there- just in case i have a bad day!
Great story! I am sad for Lena too! aw.
I bet LJ feels like a big boy now!
I've had be careful when throwing things away. Morgan found an old drawing of hers in the trash and was appalled, but I had to explain that we can't keep ALL of her papers! but it is hard to choose. :-) -A
Post a Comment