Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Popper Proficient

This one's for you KJ!

As I sat making the grocery list, LJ was playing in the dining room. He likes to look out the window in hopes of seeing the "stray" dog that roams our neighborhood. This dog has been picked up by animal control several times (twice due to my call), but within a couple of days is back on the streets. I can only assume the dog has an owner who picks him up when called, but obviously has no fence. This pleases LJ very much.

Ok, I'm off topic.

LJ likes to carry things around as he wanders around the house and yesterday he was carrying the popper that the Jfys gave him for his first birthday. He carries this toy around a lot, but he doesn't use it for the manufacturer's intended purpose. Sometimes he tries, but he holds it too upright and then it doesn't push well or make the noise. Like I said, I was in the "playroom" making the grocery list and I heard the popping noises that are the tell-tale sign that the popper is being used for the manufacturer's intended purpose. WOW! This is a big deal, so I run to the dining room and there's little LJ pushing that popper. Of course, I gave him more praise then Einstein probably got from anyone in his life, but it was a red-letter day for us.

Later, when talking to LJ's Aunt M, who spent Saturday with LJ while RJ and I both had to work - I found out that she had worked very hard with him...trying to teach him to use the popper. It worked...LJ did not master it on his own, so instead of this being a demonstration of his ingenuity, it is a demonstration of how well he learns and takes direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just about as proud of that popping little boy as an aunt can be. way to go, lj. KJ

Anonymous said...

I like to think that it is a demonstration of how well he learns and takes direction AND his ingenuity!

And don't forget how LJ likes to walk around with our shoes on his hands. He is probably trying to illustrate the connection between humans and the dogs that he loves lately! (Or maybe he just thinks they are big gloves... but that would mean that he knows what gloves are!) And how about how he likes to sit upon anything large enough to hold him? We think it might be his way of getting to know a new object, or claiming it for his own. We are so proud!

At any rate he is fun to be around!